First time chicken owner needs help to get rid of chicken mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hilligossfam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. hilligossfam

hilligossfam New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi - my daughter got a silkie bantam to show for FFA. We have a chicken tractor. The chicken is female and about 6 months old. We got her when she was 4 months and about a week or 2 after getting her we notices little black bugs on her cage and in the food. I called the lady we got her from and she said it sounded like chicken mites and to use Sevin dust. We sprinkled Sevin dust all in the crevices of the wood, sprinkled it under the pine bedding with new bedding and dusted the chicken. We do this about twice a week. We haven't noticed many mites on the actual chicken but can't get rid of them in the cage. Her FFA teacher has chickens and said to use Adams Flea spray. We tried that. Nothing seems to be working. ANYONE had this problem and what did you do? PLEASE help! I am at my wits end!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    PLEASE help! I am at my wits end!

Spray the cage with full strength ammonia and let is sit for a day to dry.

The mites can't live long off the birds, so I suspect you need to dust them again too​

3. hilligossfam

hilligossfam New Egg

Dec 28, 2011
    Thank you so much! I will try it for sure!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am not so sure those are mites. Mites would be on the chickens. I never know mine have them till I feel them creeping on my arms after handling the chickens. I've never seen mites in off the chickens. Drop some seven on the bugs and see if it kills them...if they don't drop dead right off...then it is not killing them and they are not mites.
    sharon

5. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Are mites black?

I thought they were a cream/white color?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by