1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time chicken owner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnimalLover22, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AnimalLover22

AnimalLover22 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    Hi my name is Amanda. I'm a new chicken owner. My friend and I wanted to raise some chickens we thought it would be fun. We got some eggs from her mother-in-law who raises chickens and had some hens laying. We put forty in the incubater. We have had 2 chicks hatch all the rest are 4 to 6 days late. Can they be that late and still be ok. What should I do. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    No.

Check an egg or two by gently breaking it open. I recommend preforming this task outside and down wind from your kitchen or bed room window and while wearing your old work clothes.

I bet that you can figure out how to proceed from there, good luck.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Since you posted this 3 days ago, I'm guessing you've probably disposed of the eggs by now. For next time, you can candle the eggs (shine a bright light into the fat end, there are charts online that show different stages if development) or float (put the eggs in water, observe for signs of life) the eggs.

If you do suspect an egg is rotten and just have to see inside, I suggest placing the egg inside a zip lock bag and breaking the shell. Rotten eggs STINK, and its a smell that will stay with you for a while if you're unfortunate enough get that stuff on you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by