First time chicken owning grandma

chickgma

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2012
Hello! I have been looking on this site almost daily since deciding to get 8 chicks. They arrive mid June
jumpy.gif
. I have bought a used shed to use for a coop. I know I need to put a window in it. Is the south side best? How big of a chicken run do I need? The spot where I want to put the coop is close to a corn/soy bean field. Do you think the chickens will get lost in there if I let them free range? I have so many questions! What do I need to have for them to roost on? Thank you for any help you can give me!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

I like a southern exposure window, as it gives them more light and some sun in the winter, and in the summer the sun is high enough that it doesn't shine in much. Most experts recommend a 2x4 board as a roost, with the 4" side flat, as being more comfortable for the birds as they don't have to hang on constantly to balance, and can cover their feet easily in cold weather ( I find them easier to clean too). The run should provide at least 10 square feet per bird, while in the coop you should have at least 4 square feet per bird. Most birds find their way back to the coop with no problem.

WelcometoBYC.gif
Hello! I have been looking on this site almost daily since deciding to get 8 chicks. They arrive mid June
jumpy.gif
. I have bought a used shed to use for a coop.

I know I need to put a window in it.

Is the south side best?

Which way does the wind in your area usually blow?

How big of a chicken run do I need?

Depends on the breeds you chose. Also will they be in the run all the time or free ranging some?

The spot where I want to put the coop is close to a corn/soy bean field.

Do you think the chickens will get lost in there if I let them free range?

They're fairly smart so they may be fine.

I have so many questions!

What do I need to have for them to roost on?

Many people use wooden poles.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Thanks for writing back! I. live in central Illinois. The wind usually blows (alot) mostly from the south west. I've ordered 2 each of Rhode Island Red, Orpingtons, Delawares, & Plymouth Rocks--all hens. I want to keep them in the run till next spring and then let them free range. This is what I think, anyway....a little nervous about the free range thing.

Thanks for the info 1muttsfan! And thank you for the welcome from the rest of you!

Back
Top Bottom