FIRST TIME CHICKEN RAISER!!!

Passionfruitx

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Hi everyone!
smile.png

I just got two female chickens today and I am excited to raise them. This is my first time ever!!! They are 13 weeks old. My friend, who raised them when they were young said that they should be laying eggs when they are about 18 weeks old. I got them because I wanted them as pet and I wanted fresh organic eggs. :)

I have a Delaware and a Brown Leghorn.

So far the Delaware is so nice and calm. She's my favorite out of the two. The Brown Leghorn is not use to the coop yet. She doesn't like to be held and is always running away or hiding. :( I just got them today though so I am hoping that they will get use to me more!!!

In the the near future (HOPEFULLY SOMETIME THIS MONTH) I want to get two more chickens. I am thinking of an Ameraucana and a Silkie, or two Ameraucanas. Because one lays blue/greenish eggs and the other is fluffy and funny looking and is friendly. I want a variety of chickens that are friendly and pretty to look at and play with, at the same time get eggs from. I am thinking about getting the next two as baby chicks because that will be a neat experience. I hope that they will all get along!!!

As of now, two chickens will be good. I hope to learn more about chickens!!! Any comments and tips will be greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!!!!!

welcome to the site :D warning keeping chickens becomes addictive and will take over your life :D The leghorn should be a fantastic layer for you they lay a few (the white ones lay more than the other colour varieties tho) I have heard they can be quite flighty tho! but hopefully with enough time she will get used to you enough to let you hold her :)

enjoy your time with your feathery friends :D

Hi everyone, am Wells, am into farming as well as am a sailor...... I have hundreds of layers, and also rabbits and so on and I also want to go into raising turkey, if anyone have ideas on how to raise them perfectly, please be my close pal

welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Chickens are quite fun to keep especially as pets. You may need to work with them for a while to tame them up a bit. Go sit in the run with a bag full of goodies and see how they want to clamber all over your lap! Eventually they will be lap sitting in no time.

When you do get your new chickens, introduce them slowly to your original flock so there is minimal pecking order issues.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR WARM WELCOMES!!!!! You guys are all so kind. :)

Today is day two and my Delaware is shy now. She was ok with me petting her yesterday, but today she follows the Brown Leghorn around and both of them are trying to hide from me. I fed them some apples as treats but they wont get it from me so I had to throw it near them. ANY ADVISE on how to get them to be people friendly??? I got them when they were 13 weeks old.

ALSO, I'm excited to say that today I got my first two baby Ameraucana Chicks. I am excited to raise them as a baby. They are 3 weeks old and they are so small and tiny. I didn't get my Silkie, but I think it is nicer to get the Ameraucanas as a pair. Maybe a few months from now I can get 1 Silkie...maybe...But as of now 4 is enough! Hehe. I really want my new baby chicks to be people friendly. Once again, ANY ADVISE on how to raise baby chicks to be people friendly??? THANKS! and I really hope they will lay green/blue eggs when they are older.

YES, RAISING CHICKEN IS ADDICTING!!! I am only on my day 2 and I already have 4 chickens total!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom