First time chickener...just got our girls, but they won't leave the

tomasko

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
coop??

three RIR hens, about 18-weeks old...eating awesome, drinking and looking happy. But they don't want to leave their coop. i don't blame them it is pretty darn nice (pats self on back)...They have only been with us for two days, and since last night they have stayed in their home...normal? just getting used to their new home?

welcome-byc.gif

Don't rush them too much as they will always be afraid of you if you make them do things that they don't want to do.
Gradually toss out alittle scratch in their day area close to the door and they will eventually check it out.
After said time they will know that good thing are out there.
Just a tiny bit at first.
Mike

Thanks everyone...thats what I thought, and we are just letting them get used to their new home. Hard to explain to a 3yr old and 2yr old why their new friends are hiding
smile.png

I'm glad you posted this because I will know what to do when I finally get my chickens! LOL I can't hardly wait to get them, but I'm waiting until we get back from a trip down to Florida for a week. By the way, can anyone tell me what you need to do when you leave town for a week? Do you need to have someone come and tend them, or can you leave food and water for a week? I am TOTALLY new to this, so any suggestions would be great!

I have left them for a week, but things can go wrong. Give them plenty of water/food/security/ and have someone come every 2 days to check food, change water. Mine just pulled down a light tube that was between the rafters, someone could die---Prepare them for a week, but get a check person, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom