First time coop builder! Need advice!

A few random pointers on building coops.
If possible it might be best to use an existing structure like an old play structure. This will give you a unique coop that is less expensive and a bit faster to build. Coop size depends on where you are located. For example if your area snows you would want to have more space for the birds in the coop. In contrast, if your weather is more temperate you can have less space. Lastly, go for functionality, so try to eliminate odd angles and make roost removable.

Good luck with your coop!

Welcome! All good ideas already. Build BIG, and really consider a shed conversion, not a dog-house on stilts design. Ventilation and predator protection and more than minimum floor space. Cute is nice, but function is more important. I'm all in favor of the pizza and beer! Mary

Welcome to BYC!! Glad you found it.

Loved the HUGE post by RidgeRunner and we use that beer, soda & PIZZA (or burgers or chicken sandwiches - basic) trick as much as possible now that we are older. Plus it's more fun! No or less beer during the build or dimensions may be off. We have our own truck (a bantam size and a "giant" size
lau.gif
)

Hoop, hoop, de-hoop! I love hoop coops built with cattle/stock panels. Nice size to start out with even if using only 1 cattle panel, affordable and they can be dressed in a variety of ways - chicken wire, hardware cloth, tarps, plastic, wood, green house panels, roofing panels - corrugated, plastic, aluminum or steel, vents. Wood, steel or PVC base. Our family/friends drink a lot of soda - 2 ltr bottle type, and I'm working on a way to roof our hoop coops and pony feed sheds by re-purposing the bottles. Have a ways to go yet but hoping to have the first one done during the Christmas Holidays. Only just here on this property for a year now - collecting bottles. Have had a few friends collecting, too, but then a couple lost theirs when they were mistakenly taken to dump or put in burn pile... Tis OK.

The ground can be left bare for DLM - easy to care for. Different configurations for water, feeders, roosts, pop door and nesting boxes.

AND hoop coops can be expanded in either direction for more coop space or more run space. They can be built in a permanent spot or they can be made to move as in a chicken tractor.

There are many hoop coops on this forum in different spots...

Last edited:
I'll throw in my $0.02 to all the other good advice here.

Read...repeat...read everything on this site. If you think of a question, type it in the search box and chances are 99+% it's been answered. I spent about six months researching BEFORE I got any chicks. Time spent now in preparation will save you loads of time and money and grief down the road.

You will also need to be prepared for any medical emergencies (search for some good threads on what to have on hand). Some of the possible things that can go wrong with chicks (like coccidiosis) can kill chicks before the medicine can arrive...so it's best to have a little first aid box with some common items. Locate an avian vet now and see if they treat chickens (or talk with a regular vet if you can't find an avian one) in case something really serious happens that you can't handle.

Last edited:
Oh, with biscuits and honey, RR? That would be great! You must have smarter chickens than I do - mine don't read the chicken books to know how to behave so I doubt they'd even notice a poster. Stoopid chickens!

Back
Top Bottom