First time culling :-(

Whitehouse Quail

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Michigan
Today, I had to cull one of my Polish roosters. (Nameless, thank goodness) He had been getting picked on, he was the lowest on the order. (Even below two silkies! Who are fine.) He had his head ripped open a couple times by quail getting to him, and he broke his leg! It wasn't working, he wasn't eating, he wasn't drinking, and had dirreah. He couldn't stand up, he could only flip over, like aways having a spazz attack.

Did I do the right thing! Pulling the trigger (literally) was hard, but now I feel guilty about it!

should have seperated him, got him healthy and gave him to someone who had an easier flock... culling doesnt always have to be first choice when there are many other options... a little late now tho... maybe ask before you do it next time? im sure someone would take him off ur hands next time

First of all, don't take to heart any criticism from anyone else for doing what you did. You obviously were providing adequate care for him, if he recovered from having "the back of his head ripped off" by quail a couple of times. If you weren't, he would have been dead long ago, I would think. You are the owner, he was your responsibility to care for, and I think you did what you felt you needed to do: gave him a chance to recover, then ended his suffering as humanely as you could. In the future you may want to handle things in a different way, based on how you feel about this situation, but I think you did the right thing.

You should not feel guilty.

Hope that helps,

Carrie

Quote:
Yes you did. The fact that you feel so badly about having done is evidence enough that you didn't take this lightly and did what you thought was best to end the animal's suffering.

Quote:
Wow...harsh concidering the chicken had a broken leg!!! Have you ever fixed a broken leg. I've tried...it doesn't work very well.

Sorry about having to put your rooster down. Don't feel bad. You did the best you could in that situation. Its easy for people to judge if they aren't walking in your shoes. I've been there literaly, you did the right thing. You shouldn't let the guy suffer and you did the best thing for him.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes you did. The fact that you feel so badly about having done is evidence enough that you didn't take this lightly and did what you thought was best to end the animal's suffering.

Ditto.
hugs.gif

Yes you did the right thing. I just lost my SLW roo. He had a broken leg also and I separated him in a dog kennel and tried to help him and I lost him anyway. He was eating and drinking fine and then one morning I went out to feed them and he had died in the night. He didn't seem to be suffering but I don't know, I guess they hide their pain well.
hugs.gif

Quote:
A bit harsh there, don't you think?
hu.gif

I think you did all you could for him and like some other people said, you obviously cared about him because you feel a little guilty about it and that's why you posted here.
hugs.gif
If you did all you could, then that's all that matters. Although I must agree that maybe you could have separated him the first time he got pecked on bad enough to seriously hurt him...
hide.gif
But it is too late now so it doesn't matter, you did your best and that's what matters. You did what you felt what was right for him because he probably was in pain and suffering, the way you described it. I'm sure if he could he would have thanked you for putting him at peace.
hugs.gif
Don't feel too bad about it.

Back
Top Bottom