First time duck mama

rkinley

Songster
5 Years
Mar 6, 2016
Big Sandy, Texas
My duck finally hatched one egg out of 4, I discovered it this morning. No idea how long it’s been out, it’s dry. Mom still setting.

Our other chickens would have access to any food and water I put up with them and I’m worried they will just harass mom and baby. We want to move the family (including the un-hatched eggs down to our regular brooder coop area that we use for hens and chicks so they’ll be separated but I’m concerned about moving the eggs. Will mom abandon them?

I've been able to move my Muscovy once hatch starts Just make sure she can't get out to go back to where she was. I would not leave mom and ducklings in with the chickens. What I have done is put as much nest material as I can get inside a dog crate place eggs and ducklings/s and Mom in it, I then carry to the small coop I use for mom and babies duck or chicken. If you don't feel comfortable doing that can you section off part of the coop for mama and ducklings I have also done that. Some say do the moving after dark. I've not done that but might work better.

I've been able to move my Muscovy once hatch starts Just make sure she can't get out to go back to where she was. I would not leave mom and ducklings in with the chickens. What I have done is put as much nest material as I can get inside a dog crate place eggs and ducklings/s and Mom in it, I then carry to the small coop I use for mom and babies duck or chicken. If you don't feel comfortable doing that can you section off part of the coop for mama and ducklings I have also done that. Some say do the moving after dark. I've not done that but might work better.
We don’t have dog crates anymore but we have moved chickens down to the broody coop in the evening. That should work.

Back
Top Bottom