First time duck owner!

Ayers52184

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
Im new to having ducks. I have 2 khaki Campbell ducks and would like to know the gender of them if possible. They are both almost 6wks old. 1 is lighter colored and slightly bigger with a pinkish/brown colored bill and dark bean. It peeps a lot and I have heard a couple of honks out of it but thats it. The dark one is smaller and peeps a lot no obvious honk or rasp. It has a pinkish/brown color bill and bean. The bigger light one is more calm when held but is still skittish. The dark one likes to fight and peck at you when you hold it. Both are very chirpy when you talk to them or give them new water, bedding or food. Im not sure what age they are suppose to get drake feather if they are male or color change in feathers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180406-122143.png
    Screenshot_20180406-122143.png
    915.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20180406-122117.png
    Screenshot_20180406-122117.png
    960.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am by no means an expert, but we have a pair of Campbell’s about the same age as yours. We’ve heard some distinctive quacks, but we’re waiting for the drake curl to come in before we’re ready to confirm whether or not Dirty Harry is a Harriet or not. I think the curl comes in at about 9 weeks.

This is a pretty good video on how to find out the gender. I am going to try it in a week or so on my Mallards. I know he does this everyday but just makes me crazy as a mom how he casually handles these ducks.:barnie

I saw that video. I am not vent sexing them cause I dont want to hurt them, ive never done it before. At this point I think it would be hard for me to do it anyways cause they dont like yo be picked up and are a lot bigger now haha. I was hoping for other indications on sex. I might just have to wait for drake feather age or when the voices change to adult ones.:confused:

I have two 6 week Khakis. One male and one female. They had marked the male, but that Mark is gone and now I have no clue who is who. I should have put a band on one of them(if I knew better I would have). I think the bigger one is the boy.

Could you maybe try posting a video of them quaking? If both sound like this than you should have 2 hens.. If they dont have the 'Quacking' sound at the end of their peeps then they're drakes.

This is a pretty good video on how to find out the gender. I am going to try it in a week or so on my Mallards. I know he does this everyday but just makes me crazy as a mom how he casually handles these ducks.:barnie

Um, I believe you have to do that within a certain time frame. And, honestly if you don't know what you are doing, you could harm your ducklings.

Here is the excerpt from Storey's guide. But, it is not advisable if you don't actually know what you are doing unless someone knowledgeable shows you how to do it first.
The internet can be a wonderful tool, but it also can be a misused tool. If your ducklings are 6 weeks or older, you can listen to them like @MillersFarm posted. Unless they are muscovies. :gig Then, there are other ways to tell the differences between ducks and drakes.
Screenshot_20180406-224249.png

Back
Top Bottom