First Time Duck Owner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheRookie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting my first duckies on the 28th!! I'm so excited[​IMG] I've got plenty of brooder ideas as to how to keep it clean and dry. But now I need some help with temperatures, when they can go for their first swim, anything that would help me out with my ducklings. They will be two weeks old when I get them and they will be Muscovies.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats on your ducks. Since they will be two weeks old, temp should be around 80 degrees. They will let you know if they are too cold. I let mine swim at about a week to 10 days old. Good luck. :thumbsup

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I have two week old ducklings and I keep the temperature at about 70-80. Duckling can swim at as early as one day, so anytime would be fine as long as the water is not too cold and they are supervised. Just to warn you, they grow FAST. I got two ducklings and two chicks two weeks ago today. They were the same size when I got them, now their is a huge difference in size:
    [​IMG]
    This is when I first got them.
    [​IMG]
    This is them now. They still get along, but their is a huge difference in size.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I forgot to mention that they are REALLY messy, but it sounds like you know that. They tend to try to play in their water and get their brooder soaked. I have to clean mine out at least every other day if not more. Please share your ideas on how to keep keep the brooder clean. The easier the better.

5. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    I have a Rubbermaid container that I cut a hole out of the side & then have a candy jar in that has the water in it. She can splash around all she wants in the water & it tends to stay in the Rubbermaid container. Keeps her home dryer. Maybe you can use something on a smaller scale to keep the brooder dryer.[​IMG]

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't stress over the temperature to much. I let ours splash in a pie pan at 4 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by