First time Ducker, multiple "duck 101" questions

You do not have to be up at the crack of dawn, you don't with chickens either. My ducks don't get let out till after 9, chickens are the same... Everyone is just fine with this.

As for these wee ones, its just the two of them? They are bound to be unsure, without mama or adults to show them the ropes, it will take time for them to be confident. And mature enough to handle their surroundings, i have some 6wk olds and they are just starting to explore beyond the penned area but are incredibly bonded with one another and rely on their mother and the other ducks in the flock to mimic behavior.

I should add, domestic ducks rely on us for protection and feed, they are not wild, and pekin don't fly, so there ability to protect themselves is reduced. Young ducklings are even more vulnerable due to the lack of basic experience, i have watched many a inexperienced duckling turn into a capable independent duck capable of going out on their own to forage and even produce young, but i always provide shelter and protection as they again are domestic ducks and therefore my responsibility.

Have you checked out the stickies, great info in there on raising ducklings too.

I agree with GQ. My ducks don't even have a schedule as I'm a call in so I never know when I'll be home or up or anything like that. Like today they didn't get let out until noon when I got home after working an overnight. Lol that's OK I use duckies for my adults and yell babies for the ducklings. Which I should of thought through better as they won't be babies forever lol. But as GQ said they are unsure of their environment. And they aren't dumb in some ways they are but mostly they aren't. They know who is "mommy" and who is their care giver. Obviously you would be both to them as they don't have a mommy around. So they look to you for comfort and protection. That's why your seeing this new behavior also I think them knowing they can get away if they want to makes them a little more comfortable to come up to you as they aren't being forced. Over time they will start to adventure around. They will stay close to you then eventually start going farther away. The more your out there with them the sooner they will become more confident.

So I have another question. I was sitting outside with them for the last hour or so and letting them play, and was seriously listening to their "quacks" and "peeps", and I know you guys said it's to early, but I believe there is a night and day difference between the 2 birds. I tried taking a video so you can hear it. I'll post it when it's done uploading.

Then I also noticed something on the tail. Again you guys said it's to early, so I don't know if I'm just making stuff up in my mind, so I took some pictures for you to tell me if you see what I'm seeing, or if I'm just imagine things.

Here is a link to the video I made. It's not the best quality because it was from my cell phone, but the one on the right is the "peeper" and the one on the left is the "quacker".
http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/scorpio_vette/media/VID_20130425_153646_043_zpsa85dca0f.mp4.html

Also I noticed that the "peeper" has a darker head than the "quacker". Am I just seeing and hearing things, or did my ducks hit "puberty" a bit early??? LOL

You are the one observing, so you may have enough of an indication. I thought I heard the beginning of a quack there.

Let's see how it turns out once they are old enough for there to be no doubt. Tail feathers can seem to curl sometimes on females, but for days only, in my experience.

yes, sometimes the female tale will curl up just a little ..when it's a drake feather you will know for certain that it's a drake feather..it's not curled up a little..it's nearly a circle on some birds. Yes, i'd say listen a little longer..when they first start quacking it's like you aren't quite sure..but in the next week or sure..if there is a female..you'll know it because she'll nag him all the time..lol and if you separate them for a minute you may get her to quack because she'll yell for him..they don't like to be separated for sure

Back
Top Bottom