First Time Duckling Owner- What Is Normal Duckling Behavior?

Water. When i first got my 11 ducklings at day olds, the first day I gave them a bath in a paint tray. They quickly learned that being picked up meant water play. They stink terribly so at 3 days old I moved them out to the coop and pen. They have a litter box to swim in, with the paint tray flipped over and that is now their ramp into their water box. They love water play and peas. I know everyon says don't give them peas until they are older, but at day 4 they got smashed peas and they gobble it up so fast you'd think they had been starved! Now that they are in the pen they don't like to be picked up as much. I'm fine with it, I don't like to be picked up either
1f609.png
. They will get used to you, just have to give them some time. Mine are 2 weeks old now and I can take them for walks because they follow me and get so excited when I enter the pen/coop. The more you're with them the better.

I also start talking or singing as I approach their pen so they know I'm arriving, they do startle quite easily. Enjoy them, they grow so fast!

Did you give them "grit" or anything. With the peas. If so what are you using for grit and they do smell aweful but the only coop and run I have right now is the chickens. And keep hearing they are still to young to go out and live with 9 week old chickens. My ducks are 2 weeks old Sunday July 5th
coop/run and chickens. (9 weeks old)

Did you give them "grit" or anything. With the peas. If so what are you using for grit and they do smell aweful but the only coop and run I have right now is the chickens. And keep hearing they are still to young to go out and live with 9 week old chickens. My ducks are 2 weeks old Sunday July 5th
coop/run and chickens. (9 weeks old)

They are so adorable. I'm not sure you can ever have enough ducklings
1f600.png

My ducklings will be 3 weeks on Monday July 6th.
2 age groups of chickens, 12, 9 week olds and 5, 14 week olds,

In my opinion, ducklings are much to wet to bunk with chickens. I use the deep litter method with the chickens and all that water would cause problems. I have a 4L jug with a slit in it for them to drink out when In the coop at night, I actually caught one right inside the jug. Anything for water!! Even their poop is a wet mess some days. Ducks squirt, chickens drop. I'm not sure on when is a good time verses bad time to out them in then loo together. I would suggest outside play supervised first. This way they get used to each other before they come roommates.

I couldn't stand then bought of them living in doors. They were outsider in a pen at less than 48 hours old. They are naturals. They are meant to chase flies and mosquitos and nibble on anything green. I read so many posts and Internet blogs etc. about keeping them indoors until they are 8 weeks old. WHAT? That's almost cruel. Their mom has them roaming around in a few hours. Trust their instincts and yours. They'll love you for it.

Ducks stink for sure lol. I was using flax bedding in their coop. Bad bad idea. I hauled it all out and cleaned it out and I put in medium size wood chips with 'stall dry' and life is good again. Big difference on stench and moisture.

They have grit in their food, which is always beside the fresh food I feed them, they eat outside so they have access to grit (dirt) if they need it and I also give them a little bowl of play sand for grit.

My ducklings have also been free ranging for the last 2 days ... Out with the 17 chickens. They more or less leave each other alone. One of the chickens came too close and 2 of the Muscovys hissed at her. I'm assuming those hissers will be males lol. They manage to work it out.

In the pictures I see a fenced in area. The ducklings would need somewhere to hide or run for the chickens. The chickens are still young so they should behave but it all depends on their temperament.

Maybe you can put th ducks out during the day and inside at night? After a good week or two they should be good in the coop together. Again, I would just worry about the moisture content.

The Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles I feed my ducklings has grit in it. I got chick grit at tractor supply that I put in a bowl and leave out for when they have their snacks. Their favorite snacks are peas and romaine lettuce. My ducks are 6 weeks old. This is my first time having ducks too, I got them at 4 weeks old. This site has been very helpful, there's a lot of good people with good information and advice.

Yes!! Romaine lettuce too. Dandelions are my guys absolute favourite..probably second to peas. I throw the peas in the kiddie pool and they dunk for them. It's their favourite time of day, I'll also put chopped lettuce and dandelion in the pool water and that's oodles of fun too.

I give them probiotics in scrambled eggs every other day.

In the pictures I see a fenced in area. The ducklings would need somewhere to hide or run for the chickens. The chickens are still young so they should behave but it all depends on their temperament.

Maybe you can put th ducks out during the day and inside at night? After a good week or two they should be good in the coop together. Again, I would just worry about the moisture content.
the run isntt finished yet. So because of that the chickens are inside during the day 7am to 4ish pm live in Maine near rivers and streams so we have hawks and eagles. Putting top on the run hopefully next week. So they can do as they please day/night.

I should probably make a little built on addition for the ducks. Maybe.

Yes!! Romaine lettuce too. Dandelions are my guys absolute favourite..probably second to peas. I throw the peas in the kiddie pool and they dunk for them. It's their favourite time of day, I'll also put chopped lettuce and dandelion in the pool water and that's oodles of fun too.

I give them probiotics in scrambled eggs every other day.

Mine won't eat scrambled eggs. Or tomatoes. Just peas and romaine lettuce. I have searched for dandelions and I'll be ****** if I can find one! The romaine lettuce I rip up and put in their water. The peas I thaw out frozen peas and then mash them with a little bit of water, put them on a plate out there in there pen. I think I can stop mashing the peas at this point but I still do. I tried peas with white rice today (mashed peas, and with water, all mixed together) but they wouldn't touch it because of the white rice and then finally picked the peas out of it and left all the rice. So far they only like green snacks.

I live pretty remote so my dandelion search is on my property and down the road. They are better Than store bought as store ones will have pesticides, unless you buy
Try collards. Mine love collards too. I'm growing a few batches for them in the veggie garden.
They also love shredded raw zucchini and shredded cucumber.

Mine don't like tomatoes either. But they LOVE strawberries

the run isntt finished yet. So because of that the chickens are inside during the day 7am to 4ish pm live in Maine near rivers and streams so we have hawks and eagles. Putting top on the run hopefully next week. So they can do as they please day/night.

I should probably make a little built on addition for the ducks. Maybe.

They'll love doing what they want 24/7. Lucky chickens! If you have any more questions, you can email me. I'm not always on here. I'll pm you my email address.

Back
Top Bottom