First Time Duckling Owner- What Is Normal Duckling Behavior?

Wow, thanks everyone for the responses! I feel more confident now.

Out of my crew the Khakies(Jane and Lizzie) are the most timid, the Rouens(Nicolette and Eva) are the bravest and the Runners(Ping and Ling) are inbetween. They are currently in the laundry room and we look in on them a lot during the day. When I am cleaning the Rouens will pick at my arm and look at me out the side of their heads. They are pretty sassy. When we go in and talk to them they mostly sit and peep.

I have made the cool whip bath bowl but I cut 6 holes in the lid so they can all wash at the same time. Nicolette and Eva like to sit on it though. They have a large chicken waterer to drink from so I have only been putting the cool whip tub in twice a day. I'm afraid one is going to get stuck upside down in it and drown. I did read about making a head bath out of a plastic ice cream container so I am going to try that next.

On another note, I am getting 3 Toulouse geese on April 11 and plan on raising everyone together since they are going to be sharing a house outside. We are going to build a bigger brooder but the geese are going to be almost 4 weeks younger. I think I read the ducklings would probably be off heat by then but the geese will need it. Will it be a problem for the ducklings?

Sorry for the long post. :)

Yes the eating a drinking sitting down actually scared me at first I thought something was going on with their legs, but no they are actually just being lazy! Your description on your ducklings sound just like mine!

I'm glad someone said something, because I thought the exact same thing! I think my ducks prefer to lay down and do everything. LOL! I know their legs are fine, cuz they sure get the zoomies when out running around the room!

When I had six ducklings at once, I went out and bought the largest Cool Whip container and emptied it (got really tired of Cool Whip, I tell ya!) for them. Yes, they do try to get into it by getting on top of it. I was afraid if I cut more than one slice out of the lid it would be less strong and come off..... So my ducklings just had to take turns drinking and dunking their heads.

I love Duck Yoga! .

This is my first time raising ducklings. We did when I was a child but I didn't do much of the work since I was so young.
We purchased 3 Mallard ducklings. The are so cute but I'm having trouble trying to get them use to human interaction. I've had them now for almost two weeks and they still run and hide when I walk into the room. I will talk sweetly to them and let them take "baths" in our guest bath tub when it is time to clean the pen. When I hold them they act like I'm about to eat them at any moment in time......
Does anyone have an tricks or tips on how to make them more tame? I'm not sure if it is the breed or something I am doing wrong?
Our baby turkeys are very tame and our baby chicks are starting to get there.
Any advice would be very appreciated.

We have two KC ducklings and they are pretty different in temperment, one (Poppy) is quieter and likes to cuddle in, she sits well in your hands. The other, considerably smaller (Button) won't keep still, is totally hyperactive jumps off and on and squirms around. Even in the brooder will not sit as much. I think it's down to personality and persistence. We have an older Muscovy that is slowly coming around to us, as in will let us within a metre. Bit by bit...

my ducks act the same their still young i only have two and everytime i walk in the pen the run as fast as they possibly can to the corner of the coop to ge away from me. they also trample over my chicks if the chicks are in their way.

I just got 3 ducklings yesterday. They are so scared. They are a week old. My step daughter has been around then since they hatched with their mother. When I got them yesterday it was the first time they were separated from their mother. What can I do to have them not so scared they see me stand up from the couch or walk by and they run to the corner of the tote and chirp. If I walk up to the tote they completely freak out. I try to hold them today because I read to give them 24 hours to get comfy in the tote before holding them. So I did and they are still completely freaked out.

I just got 3 ducklings yesterday. They are so scared. They are a week old. My step daughter has been around then since they hatched with their mother. When I got them yesterday it was the first time they were separated from their mother. What can I do to have them not so scared they see me stand up from the couch or walk by and they run to the corner of the tote and chirp. If I walk up to the tote they completely freak out. I try to hold them today because I read to give them 24 hours to get comfy in the tote before holding them. So I did and they are still completely freaked out.

Water. When i first got my 11 ducklings at day olds, the first day I gave them a bath in a paint tray. They quickly learned that being picked up meant water play. They stink terribly so at 3 days old I moved them out to the coop and pen. They have a litter box to swim in, with the paint tray flipped over and that is now their ramp into their water box. They love water play and peas. I know everyon says don't give them peas until they are older, but at day 4 they got smashed peas and they gobble it up so fast you'd think they had been starved! Now that they are in the pen they don't like to be picked up as much. I'm fine with it, I don't like to be picked up either
1f609.png
. They will get used to you, just have to give them some time. Mine are 2 weeks old now and I can take them for walks because they follow me and get so excited when I enter the pen/coop. The more you're with them the better.

I also start talking or singing as I approach their pen so they know I'm arriving, they do startle quite easily. Enjoy them, they grow so fast!

Back
Top Bottom