First time egg hatcher (both me and my hen)

1876 Farm

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Northern Illinois/ Waukesha WI
I have a broody hen sitting on some ceramic eggs in my main coop. There are 11 hens in total in this coop with no rooster.

I plan on placing 9 fertilized eggs under my broody hen, leaving her in the main coop with the 10 other hens. What issues might I encounter by leaving her in the main coop to hatch and raise her chicks? Will the other hens attack the chicks when they are born?

Your advice it greatly appreciated.
L

The other hens may try to lay in her nest with resultant egg breakage or additional eggs. If she hatches in the main flock, given enough room, most hens are able to keep the rest of the flock away from the chicks. It is a situation to be monitored.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Welcome to BYC.

I have 51 chickens... I let my girls do things naturally for the most part. I'd mark the eggs that are for hatching on the ends, not the sides... and take the fresh laid eggs out daily. Watch the calender. When you get to about day 19, section off her nest box. DO THIS SECURELY so the other hens don't get in anymore. Provide a chick water-er and feeder in that sectioned off area. After about a week or so, you can remove the divider and let mom do her thing the rest of the way. I have a broody who already has her chicks outside. They are 4 days old... This is her second hatch. She didn't take her first hatch out till they were over a 2 weeks. I have another broody who has 10 day olds right now, and she still hasn't left her brood area... Each hen will be different, but I can guarantee they will viciously defend their little ones and the other hens will respect that.

Welcome to BYC! I'm sure you'll get some great advice here (you might try posting under the forum specific to raising chicks/hatching too). Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom