FIRST TIME EGG LAYING PULLET MAKING NOISES AGES BEFORE LAYS EGG ??? HELP PLEASE

kays chicks

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Derby UK
My pullet is 22 weeks old and had her first egg 2 days ago , she was going around the garden making a noise and squatting but getting distressed then she went in out dog kennel and had it , it was massive

she has come out the the coop this morning and distressed making noises only to go straight for the dog kennel , she didnt have an egg yesterday even though she was still doing this distressing noise and looking around our garden . if she did lay i cant find it . will she be ok ? is it because she is new to it ?
i have a 2-3 year old hen who just lays in the coop so why wont my pullet ???? can anyone help as ive even put my pullet in the coop and she comes out and goes to the dog kennel , poor dog has to wait while shes in there lol

My opinion is that she's just a newbie layer figuring things out. She'll settle into a routine, decide on the "best" spot to lay, and her eggs will stop being weird after a short while. One of my pullets laid a 4.25 oz egg her second week of laying. Talk about massive! It contained 3 yolks. Also, some pullets/hens are just more vocal than others, both before laying and just after. I wouldn't worry about her. =)

My opinion is that she's just a newbie layer figuring things out. She'll settle into a routine, decide on the "best" spot to lay, and her eggs will stop being weird after a short while. One of my pullets laid a 4.25 oz egg her second week of laying. Talk about massive! It contained 3 yolks. Also, some pullets/hens are just more vocal than others, both before laying and just after. I wouldn't worry about her. =)
THANK YOU !! , she looked like she wanted to lay today again but ive not found an egg today either is that normal for her to show like she is going to lay then not lay at all ?? i gave my father in law the egg as he wanted the first i will have to ask him how many yolks it had

Yes, it's normal. My girls have been laying for several weeks now, but they still only lay sporadically. I have 9 pullets and some days I get 6 or 7 eggs, other days only 1 or 2. Mostly I've been getting 3 or 4. Hopefully it'll pick up soon... Let us know what your father-in-law found in that egg! =)

im always with them so i will keep my eye on her and just hope my other start to lay as well , the egg was a double my father in law said it was a lovely yellow /orange colour as well so fingers crossed all her eggs are the same . they are fed well and free reange so are happy . as long as its normal then i wont worry , i just hope she starts to lay in the coop in stead of dogs bed lol

so 5 days ago my bluebelle had her first egg that was massive and today she had a second one in the middle of the grass and it was a soft shell , she has been going in and out the dog kennel for days and no eggs ?? how long will it be before she lays everyday ??

Having soft shells in new-laying pullets isn't unusual, either. Just make sure she's got free-choice oyster shell to eat.

My girls have been laying for about a month and it's only just now becoming somewhat more regular. I have 9 girls. Most days we're getting about 4 or 5 eggs, but the 2nd week we got 7 one day and two days ago we got 8! Of course, then yesterday we had only 2. =( As a new layer, it's taking Bluebelle's system some time to come up to speed, but it will. Keep in mind, however, that even after she's laying normally, her cycle will be a bit longer than 24 hours (24-26 hours) and so she'll skip days here and there.

Here's something interesting I just found: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps029 It talks all about egg production in pullets and hens, reasons they may not be laying, etc.

Having soft shells in new-laying pullets isn't unusual, either. Just make sure she's got free-choice oyster shell to eat.

My girls have been laying for about a month and it's only just now becoming somewhat more regular. I have 9 girls. Most days we're getting about 4 or 5 eggs, but the 2nd week we got 7 one day and two days ago we got 8! Of course, then yesterday we had only 2. =( As a new layer, it's taking Bluebelle's system some time to come up to speed, but it will. Keep in mind, however, that even after she's laying normally, her cycle will be a bit longer than 24 hours (24-26 hours) and so she'll skip days here and there.

Here's something interesting I just found: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps029 It talks all about egg production in pullets and hens, reasons they may not be laying, etc.
AWWRRR thanks for your advice , ive also noticed she wants to be with me when normaly she doesnt want to know unless you have meal worms . she seems like she wants me to help in some way ?? she is trying to lay every day as she is in and out the dog kennel poor dog hasnt been out much as she has took her bed lol is it worth putting some fake eggs in the coop to see if she will lay in there instead of the kennel ? the egg inside was normal and a good colour , she is free range and has grit and oyster shells all the time . i think its just a waiting game
caf.gif
i will have a look at the link now thanks again
hugs.gif
, kay

Yes, I've heard from several people who say fake eggs or even golf balls really help. From what I've read, chickens prefer to lay where there are already eggs. In fact, when I think about collecting eggs in my own coop, often there will be one egg in one nesting box, and 5 or 6 in another.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom