First time for this to happen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katy, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got chicks hatching. I just went down to check and have something going on I've never had happen before. I think the chicks that are already hatched have pecked at one that was just starting to zip and I can see it's bleeding. I don't think the chicks itself is bleeding,...I have a feeling they got ahold of the membrane and tore it. I'm tempted to open the bator and take the others out...what do you think? I know I probably can't do anything for the one that's hatching except leave it alone. I've still got like 6 eggs in there to hatch yet.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had one do this, Katy, in the hatch from Jim's eggs. After it was intent on pecking the one chick membrane and the egg I gave up and took his mean butt out of the bator and to the brooder. I had to help that one egg hatch too.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That is so odd...these are Jim's eggs too! I think I'm gonna go down and take them out quick as I can.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd take them out to Katy....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well one little bugger made my decision real easy once I went down to look...he was standing there pecking at it!! I took all but the last couple that just hatched this morning out. This hatch has went so well..out of 15 BBS and 7 Blue rock eggs I've got 18 hatched and the one that is starting to zip. Hopefully he won't get glued into the shell.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I hope they all hatch for you. Yep, if I had a little meanie, he'd get his fluffy behind out of the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by