First time hatch help!

Clmirabilio92

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
Hi there everybody. I have successfully hatched 7 chicks 2 days ago. I got a surprise hatch early this morning. It's a silkie baby so it's very small. I put it inside the brooder with the others and the others started pecking it all over. One chick even grabbed it by its toe and pulled it. I currently have it separated from the others, how long do you think it needs to be separated. It cries out for the company so I have been going over and holding it and it quiets down. Makes me so sad to hear it cry but then I dont want it being attacked either. Are silkies different that raising bigger chicks because they are smaller? First time hatching silkies. 😟 thanks!

Clmirabilio92

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
Silkies are best raised with other silkies, or other gentle bantams. Are you going to get anymore silkies chicks?

I am trying to get some more already born silkie chicks. The one I was posting about unfortunately passed ☹But I have another silkie hatching now, so that's good to know. Thank you! That silkie was good with one of my other tiny black brahma chicks

oldhenlikesdogs

Suffering Succotash
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Sorry to hear you lost it. You can always separate chicks that are getting picked on with a little fence circle, or with a screen divider. I have a small circle made out of hardware cloth that I can put around chicks temporarily if necessary.

Some silkies can be more prone to head trauma from pecking. Hopefully you can find a few more.

Top Bottom