First time hatch help!

Clmirabilio92

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
Hi there everybody. I have successfully hatched 7 chicks 2 days ago. I got a surprise hatch early this morning. It's a silkie baby so it's very small. I put it inside the brooder with the others and the others started pecking it all over. One chick even grabbed it by its toe and pulled it. I currently have it separated from the others, how long do you think it needs to be separated. It cries out for the company so I have been going over and holding it and it quiets down. Makes me so sad to hear it cry but then I dont want it being attacked either. Are silkies different that raising bigger chicks because they are smaller? First time hatching silkies. 😟 thanks!

Clmirabilio92

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
Silkies are best raised with other silkies, or other gentle bantams. Are you going to get anymore silkies chicks?

I am trying to get some more already born silkie chicks. The one I was posting about unfortunately passed ☹But I have another silkie hatching now, so that's good to know. Thank you! That silkie was good with one of my other tiny black brahma chicks

oldhenlikesdogs

I Love Autumn
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Sorry to hear you lost it. You can always separate chicks that are getting picked on with a little fence circle, or with a screen divider. I have a small circle made out of hardware cloth that I can put around chicks temporarily if necessary.

Some silkies can be more prone to head trauma from pecking. Hopefully you can find a few more.

Top Bottom