First time Hatch just went into lock down ....nervous!

Woke up to 5 hatched chicks! Yay! It's hard to see what's going on with the other egg now but hoping they are further along. I know I can't open the door to take them out yet because there are at least 4 more with external pips. Since there are 21 eggs total and looks like this may drag on for a couple more days, wondering if I should get a humidifier for the room and plan to take them out this evening and get into their brooder?

Pics to come later... so freakin' cute!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
Congrats! That is great!

The others are in the back so hard to see but oh my goodness, I now have six and I can now see that 8 more for sure are pipping!
yesss.gif

Thanks for all the support! Now hoping the others make it out just as easily
fl.gif

The others are in the back so hard to see but oh my goodness, I now have six and I can now see that 8 more for sure are pipping!
yesss.gif

Thanks for all the support! Now hoping the others make it out just as easily
fl.gif

I just saw your thread...Congrats on your little ones! :) I am happy that you save some little chickies!

Thank you purpletie3 :) I just checked and have two more.. thse are lighter in color.. so cute!
ya.gif

Excellent! What kind of chicks do you have there?
Well, the eggs came from my son's flock. He has Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds and one Americana. At the time I got them, they were all mixed together. He has since separated the two breeds and gave his friend the Americana.

I'm a little worried because I had to open the hatcher to move 13 chicks to a safer, lower level that had higher basket sides. I had a few of them almost jumping over the shorter sides to their death and I was about to have a heart attack. Live and learn. First time doing this so learning lots of things! The other 8 eggs were still waiting and 4 of them had pips in them :( We worked as fast as we could and the humidity jumped right back up but shoud I be worried about this eggs??

Also, my second batch that I put in the hatcher just a day ago (tomorrow is day 21), I guess they got excited hearing the first batch chirping because now I have 5 pips on those and one of them looks like he's ready to bust out! So those were exposed to me opening the hatcher as well!
th.gif

Wondering if I should have done something to re-wet the little pipped areas??

From everything I read....Most people pull out their chicks once a day. So, I don't think you need to worry. Just stay on your humidity numbers to keep the moisture on the ones that pipped.

:) You are soon going to have your hands full of tiny jumpers! Just have the catcher's mitt ready for tomorrow!

Help! I might have a problem with a chick... :(( So one of the chicks I had to move to the larger basket area was still attched to half of the eggshell by a string. I just moved chick and eggshell together thinking it would just fall off. Its been a couple of hours now (at least) and this little baby is still struggling with this attached to his butt. There is no blood, it looks completely dry and poor thing looks exhausted from dragging it around. Even the other chicks are pecking at it like they are trying to help him. What to do?? I have 4 more chicks that hatched on the higher dangerous level so wondering if I should do another quick transfer and do something to help this little guy at the same time. Can I just cut it off closer to the egg end?

Thanks for any quick reply... I wish this was facebook so I could tag someone..lol..
idunno.gif

Help! I might have a problem with a chick... :(( So one of the chicks I had to move to the larger basket area was still attched to half of the eggshell by a string. I just moved chick and eggshell together thinking it would just fall off. Its been a couple of hours now (at least) and this little baby is still struggling with this attached to his butt. There is no blood, it looks completely dry and poor thing looks exhausted from dragging it around. Even the other chicks are pecking at it like they are trying to help him. What to do?? I have 4 more chicks that hatched on the higher dangerous level so wondering if I should do another quick transfer and do something to help this little guy at the same time. Can I just cut it off closer to the egg end?

Thanks for any quick reply... I wish this was facebook so I could tag someone..lol..
idunno.gif
I've had a few that did that. I've never had any problems cutting them off, closer to the egg end as you said. I'm always worried that the weight of the shell could end up pulling out intestines, so it really scares me to leave them on.

ETA: Since you said it looks really dry with no blood just give it a quick snip with small, sharp scissors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom