First time Hatch just went into lock down ....nervous!

Just had to share because I'm so excited!! So I've been checking my temps and humidity like crazy and today is day 21 for my very first set of eggs I'm incubating and I also day 18 for my second batch. (I didn't plan that out well.) I was worried because I had to open the hatcher to put the second round in (none of them have any pip holes or lines that I can see) so hoping by opening I didn't hurt anything. (It was only open for about 30 seconds.)

Anyway, the exciting news is that when I opened the door I heard CHIRPING!! AHHH!!!!
wee.gif
OMG! So excicted!!! Oh, I hope some hatch out ok! There are 21 eggs in there so fingers crossed.

On my second batch I put in.. also 21 eggs that looked good after candling just now. A couple of them looked like they may have stopped and I saw no movement but I put them in just in case I'm wrong.

I will keep everyone posted... after all, I think y'all may be the only ones excited for me because my hubby and two teenagers still living with us think the whole thing is ridiculous...lol... NERDS!
tongue.gif

Awesome Wrapchick - fingers crossed for you that you have lots of happy babies very soon!!

And definitely not ridiculous - having just finished our first hatch this week I can assure you it is AMAZING!!!!

Enjoy!

Thank you dorpersheep :)) I just got home and I have 4 eggs with pips! One egg is moving a good bit. I'm really hoping there are no problems. I'm super excited! I guess the waiting game begins..
pop.gif

Great news! I hope everything goes good with your hatch.
fl.gif
Thanks! Me too :) I can't seem to get my humidy above 57-58.. should I be worried? I've put several more sponges and containers of water but I just can't get to even 60. Should I do anything else? I don't think I should open to add anything else at this point since they have pipped right? (and I now have 5 pipped)
celebrate.gif

Thanks so much... I feel like I'm in labor myself right now
smile.png

Hmmm. 57-58 is a little lower than is optimum, but if you have external pips in there I wouldn't open it to add more right now. You might be able to dribble more water on the sponges with a straw through a vent hole though, depending on your setup. Did you calibrate the hygro before use?

Hmmm. 57-58 is a little lower than is optimum, but if you have external pips in there I wouldn't open it to add more right now. You might be able to dribble more water on the sponges with a straw through a vent hole though, depending on your setup. Did you calibrate the hygro before use?
Yes, I did and it was good. I think the problem may be that it is a big cabinet hatcher so it takes more to get the humidity up. I think my sponges are all wet but I can surely add some more. I've ordered some official hatching sponges but they are not here yet. OK, I'm going to put some more water through the hose and get it on the sponges as much as I can.

Thank you
wink.png

Ahhh, I see. I am running my first test hatch in my homemade cabinet incubator, and it certainly does take a LOT of water surface to kick up the humidity with all that space.

Woke up to 5 hatched chicks! Yay! It's hard to see what's going on with the other egg now but hoping they are further along. I know I can't open the door to take them out yet because there are at least 4 more with external pips. Since there are 21 eggs total and looks like this may drag on for a couple more days, wondering if I should get a humidifier for the room and plan to take them out this evening and get into their brooder?

Pics to come later... so freakin' cute!!

Congratulations :celebrate

What a great way to start the day!! They will be fine to stay in the incubator they should encourage the other eggs to hatch. They can survive for upto three days after hatching without the need for food and water. I remove mine when hatch is complete or the incubator looks full.

Good luck with the rest of the hatch and looking forward to seeing your pics :frow

Back
Top Bottom