First time hatcher needs help

ashyannehand

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Wade, Mississippi
Hi everyone. I have been incubating 18 "mutt" eggs from my chickens in a homemade incubator my father in law has had many a hatch with. My temp has been between 99-100 and I turned the eggs three times a day the first 18 days and then left them alone. I increased the humidity on day 18 also to about 70-80%.

I have had two chicks hatch without any problems!
jumpy.gif

But I have also had two die during the hatching process. One peeped through the shell and I could see his beak then nothing. I came back a while later and there was about a teaspoon of yellowish liquid that leaked out of the shell. I left him alone for 24 hours and then assumed he was dead.
hit.gif

I had another one peep through the shell and again, nothing. It has been over 24 hours so I also assume this one is gone.
hit.gif

Does this happen often?
hu.gif

Is there anything I can do to prevent it or should I just "let nature take it course".

I am just on Day 21 so I have a day or two left to wait other hatches out.
clap.gif

Thanks for all your help!

Your humidity is too high. You really should not go over 65%. I know the books tell you 70-80%, but I lost many a chick because they drowned on hatch day. Get your humidity down, take out the sponges or however you are keeping it up.

Let nature take it's course.. .unless of course after tomorrow you still see the little chick moving inside and then you can intervene a little at a time with a wet paper towel, only removing the shell around and above the pip without breaking veins in the membrane.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken my sponge out and am trying to decrease the humidity to about 60-65%. It is down to about 70% now. I hope the others go well. Thanks again.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom