First time hatching, advice pls on which type they are?

Corkypx3

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 4, 2014
England
Hi it’s my first time hatching quail I got some eggs from eBay from mixed colours with Tibetan male could anyone please help me with which ones are what? There’s 3 dark ones which I presume are Tibetan, three chicks were yellow with grey stripes which I thought were the same but one now has more brown barring, another one with lighter brown colouring, one darker with yellow face and one bigger in size which is sort of grey and not quite as feathered as the rest, would be great to help with sexing them soon, the trouble is there’s not enough of the same colours to get a direct comparison they‘re 4 weeks now. Sorry not great photos they don’t stay still the first one shows the difference between the yellow/grey chicks the nearest one is more black/white the one behind is more brown the same one as photo 2 the only one I can see has a pale chest so maybe male. The third photo is the pale brown one and the fourth is the greyish one. Many thanks .

Attachments

• EEF17709-107A-4EF1-85FC-4D6B88D69F07.jpeg
    EEF17709-107A-4EF1-85FC-4D6B88D69F07.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 86CCA761-96CE-413D-A4C5-2DFD9891C5A7.jpeg
    86CCA761-96CE-413D-A4C5-2DFD9891C5A7.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 5185E4F6-B55C-407A-B937-163B0F1179EA.jpeg
    5185E4F6-B55C-407A-B937-163B0F1179EA.jpeg
    717.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 9C3AAB09-40C0-44ED-80C8-AAF3266090CE.jpeg
    9C3AAB09-40C0-44ED-80C8-AAF3266090CE.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 86746926-7DD3-4D50-B1B0-E51BE0DD1CE6.jpeg
    86746926-7DD3-4D50-B1B0-E51BE0DD1CE6.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 11
The first pic, bottom to top- rosetta, pearl, Rosetta, Italian. Pearl is Italian with the fee dilution gene. If you have 2 copies of fee, it’ll be strict black and white, one copy of fee and you’ll see some light orange popping up, particularly at the neck and shoulders.

2nd pic Italian.

3rd pic I can’t see the back pattern too well, looks like an autumn amber that has egyptian influence or egyptian. That bird may also have silver and/or fee.

4th pic look like it has silver and roux, the pattern is difficult from that angle, could be a real mash up, range, wild, and Italian, maybe range and Italian. Range and Italian are incompletely dominant, so you can get quite a variety when the patterns are mixed with others.

5th could be rosetta or Tibetan, it looks like the best chance of being Tibetan of the range pattern birds you’ve got. Tibetan is incompletely dominant to wild, when they’re combined you get a variety of looks, from darker with little barring and pencilling to lighter with a vibrant mix of shades and markings popping up.

The first pic, bottom to top- rosetta, pearl, Rosetta, Italian. Pearl is Italian with the fee dilution gene. If you have 2 copies of fee, it’ll be strict black and white, one copy of fee and you’ll see some light orange popping up, particularly at the neck and shoulders.

2nd pic Italian.

3rd pic I can’t see the back pattern too well, looks like an autumn amber that has egyptian influence or egyptian. That bird may also have silver and/or fee.

4th pic look like it has silver and roux, the pattern is difficult from that angle, could be a real mash up, range, wild, and Italian, maybe range and Italian. Range and Italian are incompletely dominant, so you can get quite a variety when the patterns are mixed with others.

5th could be rosetta or Tibetan, it looks like the best chance of being Tibetan of the range pattern birds you’ve got. Tibetan is incompletely dominant to wild, when they’re combined you get a variety of looks, from darker with little barring and pencilling to lighter with a vibrant mix of shades and markings popping up.

Thank you so much thats really helpful, it did say mix of regular and lights which didn’t mean much to me. There are two of the pearls and I’m thinking one looks like a hen and the Italian looks male the others its a bit early for me to tell. The third photo autumn amber? is really friendly I’m hoping it’s a hen so would I right in thinking this one can be feather sexed like the Italian? Here it is below hope thats a better photo of its colour. What’s the difference between the Rosetta and Tibetan? I’ve got a lot to learn I think. Can I also ask if there is enough hens to keep a male how would you go about choosing which one and would it be ok to hatch eggs from them or not seeing as they have come from the same hatch? Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 6F3EE31A-52E8-4ECE-A0B2-D0EDE06127C8.jpeg
    6F3EE31A-52E8-4ECE-A0B2-D0EDE06127C8.jpeg
    681.7 KB · Views: 12
It looks autumn amber, probably with some silver. Tibetan has 2 copies of the Tibetan gene, Rosetta is one copy Tibetan and one copy wild pattern. Autumn amber is Italian with roux. Your range patterns, Tibetan and Rosetta, are not feather sexable, anything wild pattern based or Italian (fawn) based are feather sexable. You will want 3-5 hens for each male, and sometimes even with enough hens, multiple males will not get along. I have 2 males with 4 hens in one pen because the males get along with each other but no other males, this is kind of an exception tho, most wont get along without lots of space and lots of hens.

Thanks so much, I’ll be looking carefully at their colours, I think I can see 2 males one Pearl and the Italian and the grey one is definitely as he’s started crowing and I’ve seen him mounting one of the others and I can see some missing feathers on some of their heads so think he must be doing it so maybe he should be first to go, the Italian male is quite friendly and the Pearl is quite shy. I’m hoping the rosettas might be female some are quite big but need a few more weeks yet.

It looks autumn amber, probably with some silver. Tibetan has 2 copies of the Tibetan gene, Rosetta is one copy Tibetan and one copy wild pattern. Autumn amber is Italian with roux. Your range patterns, Tibetan and Rosetta, are not feather sexable, anything wild pattern based or Italian (fawn) based are feather sexable. You will want 3-5 hens for each male, and sometimes even with enough hens, multiple males will not get along. I have 2 males with 4 hens in one pen because the males get along with each other but no other males, this is kind of an exception tho, most wont get along without lots of space and lots of hens.
I think the males getting along is more of a personality thing because of my first batch all my males got along with each other and when i got other mature males they were aggressive with each other and the ones from the first group but the latter were still docile towards the new ones

Back
Top Bottom