First time hatching and Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect

Well, it's been about 6 hours and he's actually coming along! I can't believe it. He's wobbling along, hollering I think because he's all by himself in there. I want to make sure everything is good and well before I put him in with my scary Silkies. Lol
That's good!!
fl.gif

So, idk if this is normal to his breed, or if something is wrong, but, he NEVER. STOPS. PEEPING. Unless.... You're holding him. And it has to be a certain way. I'm not kidding. My entire family, to include kids and OTHER animals are all looking for excuses to leave the house bc of the noise. I put him in with the baby Silkies and they were great. No pecking or trampling, but they look pretty frazzled at all the peeping too. He isn't interested in making chicken friends at all. So, I carried him around a little. And then a little more. You guys, I took this chicken to CVS and to pick my kids up from school with me, wrapped in a hanky and tucked in my shirt. I have never seen anything like this and neither has anybody else.

The Silkies are not amused at the loud new guy.

The Silkie is giving the Serama the same look I'm getting from the general public for having a chicken in my shirt as I run errands.

The Silkie is giving the Serama the same look I'm getting from the general public for having a chicken in my shirt as I run errands.

My Brhamas are very vocal...even after 6 weeks....they run around peeping to themselves....when they were your little guys size they went quite under Mom...maybe he will quite down soon....all my birds live outside....so only the other chickens have to put up with the peeping. Good luck with your noisy little guy....or gal....

So, idk if this is normal to his breed, or if something is wrong, but, he NEVER. STOPS. PEEPING. Unless.... You're holding him. And it has to be a certain way. I'm not kidding. My entire family, to include kids and OTHER animals are all looking for excuses to leave the house bc of the noise. I put him in with the baby Silkies and they were great. No pecking or trampling, but they look pretty frazzled at all the peeping too. He isn't interested in making chicken friends at all. So, I carried him around a little. And then a little more. You guys, I took this chicken to CVS and to pick my kids up from school with me, wrapped in a hanky and tucked in my shirt. I have never seen anything like this and neither has anybody else.

I love that second pic. It's like he's saying, "Really? Don't you ever shut up?" lol
Poor you. I know how that is because my very first chick was an only survivor from a botched hatch and it was off season so there were no friends to be found nearby. Loud was an understatement. the first two nights I slept on the floor by the brooder to keep him quiet. The 3rd night I moved the brooder beside my bed so I could get some rest...lol. He wasn't happy if he wasn't out with us. He spent a lot of time out with us and became very spoiled. I tried a mirror and stuffed toy in the cage, but he didn't care. He wanted us. Now, I didn't take him anywhere. He had to deal with the cage if we left... but being a stay at home-homeschool mom, he had a lot of free time out with us....lol

With yours having chick buddies, you would think that he would calm down and shut up.
hu.gif

Other than being loud and wanting human attention, is he healthy? Eating and drinking ok? Maybe try treating him with boiled egg while he's in the brooder and give him a reason to like the brooder and be quiet for 2 seconds??? I'm not sure. But good luck with him.

Thanks you guys. At least I know I'm not alone! Lol He eats fine, drinks, poops, all that. I feel like he could eat more... But then he'd have twice the energy for yelling! My husband and I were laughing. After putting him in the brooder for the night, we were laying in bed listening to him like "Just like an infant. We have to stay strong and let him cry it out for a little or he'll never learn. He HAS to get tired EVENTUALLY. Right?!?! Maybe he's hurt... We'll just hold him a LITTLE until he calms down. Don't want to give him abandonment issues."

Hey guys! Did you miss me? I have been busy. Went on a road trip to get chickens on Monday, after working the weekend, then yesterday I got ready for my first inspection and blood draw for NPIP and then re-scheduled for Thursday, so today I did more cleaning and messed with the piece of trash I bought for a brooder. I paid $80 for it and will be lucky if it lasts one season! Anyway, my 2nd hatch started Monday evening and I have over 20 chicks!!! I have had 2 die after pipping. I wish I knew why or what I can do to help them. One of them was a Black copper Maran, but the other was a barnyard mix. I don't understand and it is frustrating and sad.
N, I am happy your 2nd hatch also went well and laughed about your problem 'child' that has to go with you wherever you go. At some point I know you will let the other birds deal with him but for now you have a baby bird fetish, LOL.

Hey guys! Did you miss me? I have been busy. Went on a road trip to get chickens on Monday, after working the weekend, then yesterday I got ready for my first inspection and blood draw for NPIP and then re-scheduled for Thursday, so today I did more cleaning and messed with the piece of trash I bought for a brooder. I paid $80 for it and will be lucky if it lasts one season! Anyway, my 2nd hatch started Monday evening and I have over 20 chicks!!! I have had 2 die after pipping. I wish I knew why or what I can do to help them. One of them was a Black copper Maran, but the other was a barnyard mix. I don't understand and it is frustrating and sad.
N, I am happy your 2nd hatch also went well and laughed about your problem 'child' that has to go with you wherever you go. At some point I know you will let the other birds deal with him but for now you have a baby bird fetish, LOL.
Awesome news on the chicks!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Did you miss me? I have been busy. Went on a road trip to get chickens on Monday, after working the weekend, then yesterday I got ready for my first inspection and blood draw for NPIP and then re-scheduled for Thursday, so today I did more cleaning and messed with the piece of trash I bought for a brooder. I paid $80 for it and will be lucky if it lasts one season! Anyway, my 2nd hatch started Monday evening and I have over 20 chicks!!!  I have had 2 die after pipping. I wish I knew why or what I can do to help them. One of them was a Black copper Maran, but the other was a barnyard mix. I don't understand and it is frustrating and sad. 

So... I'm guessing you're saying DONT get the $80 brooder? Lol I was this close too, but was waiting on what you thought about it. I guess I'll be looking some more. That's too bad because it looks cute and convenient. I guess you're probably better off building something yourself. If I do that, it might end up looking like some kind of abstract art but It will hold! Lol
I can't think of a better road trip then one that gives you chickens as souvenirs!
AND congrats on your hatch! 20 is A LOT of BEGOCK! Sorry about your losses. I've been stressing this newest batch, bc it has gone so well so far. Steady temp, humidity and I've managed to keep my hands off except for ONE candling, but there's only 7 and I figure chances are, 50% are roos and then there's the Serama lethal gene that kills 25% during hatch. So, I'm hoping things continue to go my way and I get more than one or two. But somebody did post a link for me on another thread about the lethal gene that made a lot of sense. It said that one theory is that the gene is connected to short legs and that because of that, they can't kick their way out of the egg and die at hatch. My little guy was an assisted hatch that took almost 3 days and he has the shortest legs we've ever seen! In fact, he gets stuck on his back sometimes and needs help getting back up. We weren't sure if this was a Serama thing, or just unique to ours, but I absolutely believe that if left to nature, he would have not made it. So, it's just something interesting I'm definitely wanting to learn more about.

Back
Top Bottom