1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatching chicks!!! But I need a little help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrygirl5150, May 22, 2016.

1. countrygirl5150

countrygirl5150 New Egg

May 18, 2016
    I have 2 somewhat broodies, but they will only shuffle the eggs around and hop off the nest, or out of the nest box. I have an incubator as a back- up plan, but it ain't going so smooth either. The humidity won't stay above 35%, and I've already tried putting water in and even wet paper towels but it goes up to about 49% then goes down to 35% again. What should I do??? Should I see if the hens would try? Or should I try and get the humidity up a different way?? :D thx for helping

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some questions for you….

1. How long have the hens been non-brooding these eggs? I.e. are they developing and/or viable?
    2. What make and model incubator have you got? How many and how big are the water reservoirs?
    3. How big are the air vents in the incubator? Too much air circulating can wreak havoc with your humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by