First time hatching. Day 22 need advice

mlrod1914

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Berkley, MA
Hi
So the chicks started cheeping yesterday midday. Today is day 22. I made sure the humidity was 69% last night. Came down this morning and humidity was 50%. I immediately soaked the sponges again and humidity is back up to 67%.
Temps have been pretty good and consistent.
Homemade coolerbator with no window.

Here's a picture. I found one chick trying to hatch. Does it look dry to you? It is breathing. The first picture was taken at 8:45am and the second at 1:10pm
No change at all. But I can see belly breathing. Should I just leave it alone? I didn't see pips last night either so I'm not sure when it started to open up.
I'm stressed it won't make it. This is my first time. Other eggs are cheeping too.
[/IMG]

Ok this is 8:45am. The original post has the 1:10 pm picture

I've been trying to not open the lid. I did to wet sponges and to just peek once. I've had the lid open no more than 1.5 seconds each time

It does look dry to me. Can you add another warm, wet sponge?

After no progress after that much time has passed, I'd intervene on the partially zipped one. It looks like he's glued in.

R 2pm this chick will have pipped for 24hrs. It started to zip in the wrong direction. I am trying to allow it to finish itself, before I intervene. Which will be in 29 mins.

Thanks so much. I had read that article earlier. Also watched a video. I didn't know about the water but I used a little paper towel to dab a few drops on the dry areas.
Here's a pic after I unzipped it. Hope I did ok. It was moving and peeping. It's still peeping like crazy in there! Hope that's a good sign. there was a tiny bit of dried membrane I didn't think it would get through so I just snipped it. ( near beak)

Back
Top Bottom