First time hatching duck eggs

I just thought of something, The bird I'd be most concerned about is your drake, you might want to give him his own living quaters till the ducklings are at least 4 weeks old. Drakes are notorious for killing ducklings. Then again if you can move mama easier to her own space then by all means which ever is the best arrangement for them. Looking forward to hearing what is going on.
pop.gif

Good morning, So far this morning no ducklings, but I havent moved Momma to see the progress.. She should be up soon eating if she stays on her normal schedule.. I was thinking about the drake being a pain to them.. He does try to mate with the hens so I am going to see about making him his own space... It looks like I will have a busy morning preparing for all that.. I will keep you posted on my babies.. so excited..

Quote:
Yes good for you. Those drakes can be a pain, I have 2 of my own. Just try to be patient, and if their hatching mama will not get up. She will want to keep the humidity just right so no babies get shrink wrapped, thats why you shouldn't lift her very much, she is regulating the humidity for the perfect hatch. I know it's hard but won't be long now. and maybe you'll hear peeping if you just stand there long enough.
pop.gif

Shouldnt she be eating and drinking? I always feed them there favorite treat in the morning, baby spinach, and always take hers to her but do I need to put water and food right next to her now since she wont be getting up?

Last edited:
Quote:
You can put food and water close by, just make sure the ducklings can't get into the waterer and drown. she most likely won't eat or drink. But you know your girl best so do what ever you feel like for her. Just make sure the feed is chick starter/grower because thats what the ducklings will be eating when she shows them the food. They probably won't eat for the first 36 hrs though. they will live off the youlk they absorbed during hatching.
smile.png
Don't panic she will be fine. Just think how long this has been going on in the animal world without human interference.
wink.png

well she just got up and I went and sat next to the nest.. 2 of them have cracked the egg....that I can see.. lots of noise and chirping coming from there none are all the way through though... just cracks a part of the shell...

Quote:
It takes a while for them to get through the membrane and shell but it makes them strong. Glad you got to see what was going on. keep us updated!! exciting~

Sorry have my 10 month old nephew too but just went out and looked, more of the shell is off and a tiny pin hole is in the other layer... I see that layer going up and down....

Back
Top Bottom