First time hatching duck eggs.

kcbode

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Morgantown, WV
I bought some Australian Spotted ducks from Holderreads last spring. I wanted to try to hatch some eggs this spring with a broody hen. I read Holderreads book on raising ducks and have read several threads here, however, I just can't quite get me arms around the process. Here is what I am envisioning:

1. Ducks bread around March/April.
2. Hen will lay a "clutch" 8 or 9 eggs, then stop and sit on them till hatched (she is broody right now but I am taking the eggs).
3. While she is on the nest I will section her off from the others with her own water and food.
4. 28 days or so later they should begin hatching?
5. I should remove hatched ducks and hen (?) and put them in a brooding pen.
6. Raise normally from there.

Can anyone please fill in the "holes" here and tell me what I might be missing? I appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading the replies because I also want to hatch duck eggs under a broody hen. Good questions!
thumbsup.gif

When the time is right aka when I have a broody, I will seperate her and sit her on fertilized eggs. Once the ducklings hatch (if I'm very lucky) I will wait until they have feathers and then place a shallow dish of water in their pen for them to begin swimming - this can't be done before they have feathers.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes right now.

Last edited:
Mum:
I'm looking forward to the replies too.................wonder why I haven't gotten any?? Is it because I am a "new egg" or are my questions answered in another thread. I guess time will tell.

You have some good questions.. but I am little help.. i have several hens that have gone broody, mine are Muscovy though so I do know their is a longer incubation period and more eggs... last time i peeked in i think i saw between 10-12.. my hens are "sharing" i have done nothing special.. they are in the barn with the rest of the ducks including the drakes.. and all my birds free range.

Of coarse IF anything hatches I am going to have to sort out how to handle this?
barnie.gif

I think you've gotten no replies because you've pretty much got it covered. What exactly is your question? If you let a broody hen (chicken OR duck) hatch the eggs, nature will take it's course, and you won't have to do much other then what you already stated.

I bought some Australian Spotted ducks from Holderreads last spring. I wanted to try to hatch some eggs this spring with a broody hen. I read Holderreads book on raising ducks and have read several threads here, however, I just can't quite get me arms around the process. Here is what I am envisioning:

1. Ducks bread around March/April. Depends on where you are.

2. Hen will lay a "clutch" 8 or 9 eggs, then stop and sit on them till hatched (she is broody right now but I am taking the eggs) ## depends on breed. Is she really broody? Has she stopped laying and is she not leaving the nest? You don't say where you live so depending on weather in about 1 month, you can start leaving them with her and see if she starts to set. She will stop laying and remain on the nest almost 24/7 when she is officially setting.

3. While she is on the nest I will section her off from the others with her own water and food. Good idea, not always necessary. I had a broody runner and blocked her off because the other hens were still laying in her nest and she was getting picked on.

4. 28 days or so later they should begin hatching? 26-29 days once she is officially setting.

5. I should remove hatched ducks and hen (?) and put them in a brooding pen. Up to you. I liked the fact that my runner took care of her babies, less work for me
wink.png
If you want them to be more imprinted on humans or want her to start laying again quickly you can remove them and brood them yourself.

6. Raise normally from there. Yup

Can anyone please fill in the "holes" here and tell me what I might be missing? I appreciate your help!

You are on the right track. I have a muscovy that just started to set a few days ago on 14 eggs. This is her first clutch. I am toying with the idea of removing them so that they are more human focused but not sure yet. I have ~ 30 days to decide.
lol.png
Good luck with your girl.

Jdywntr:

Thanks SO MUCH for the helpful reply. I live in North Central MD.

She has not laid a full clutch yet but she will continue to set on 2-3 that she lays. I take them up each day right now but she is acting like she would continue to set on them if I let her go.

Once she starts setting on the clutch, the food and water will be quite a ways away - down the ramp and across the pen. That's why I was considering sectioning her off in the house (plenty of room) with her own food and water. That way if/when they hatch everything is right there for the mother and babies.

Good luck with your muscovy. Keep me posted!

Thanks again!

Kevin

You are most welcome Kevin.

If the food and water are that far away then I would block her off. It is recommended that food is placed close (a few feet) to them so that they will get off to eat. I had a runner before that would NOT get off the nest. I had to remove her daily and she would poop, quick bite to eat drink and back on.

Once you are about 30 days out from decent temps, you could start leaving them with her. Most on BYC say that the duck knows best and won't go broody when the timing is bad weather wise. I personally think that the unseasonable weather this winter has gotten them a bit confused. I don't really need to worry in FL but you would in MD.

I will post updates, I'll expect them from you also.

Good luck, I don't even know what an Australian Spotted is ( haven't had time to google it )
lau.gif
but would love to see pics of your little ones once they arrive.

Judy

Thanks Judy:

Your comments are a big help. The hen is sitting each day until I take the eggs up. Are/did you check your eggs to see if they are fertile? Or do we just assume and take chances. I have seen her mating with the drake from time to time so that's a good thing.

OK, I will wait a month or so for the weather to be "consistantly" warmer although its supposed to be 65 heree today! I assume pushing her off the nest each day for the next month will not make here "un-broody"!

Take care and good luck.

Kevin

New on here. I found some duck eggs I have some mallards 4 female and 2 males in our pond. Now I just found the eggs they are green in color. how many days will it be before they hatch. I do believe they are only about a week old now. There's alot of them like 9 or so in that hollowed out base of a tree near our pond. Do afew of them all lay together? My two chickens lay in the same spot do ducks do that also? All help is appreciated. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom