First time hatching eggs - advice please :)

ahliajade

In the Brooder
May 3, 2017
Hi all!
I have a broody Partridge Wyandotte who is about to be given some fertile eggs she has been broody many times before and is so persistent that I've been convinced she needs to hatch some eggs!
I've been doing a lot of reading, but still have a few questions.
I'm getting 6 Pekin Bantam eggs this afternoon for her.
Some of my questions are:
Can I give her bantam eggs to hatch? Will bantam eggs and chicks be too small for her?
My coop is raised and has a ramp, will it be too dangerous for the chicks? (I don't currently have a separate brooder area, I would have to build one) I'll post a photo. I could add a barrier to the edges? I'll also be replacing the water bucket with a safer waterer.
If I leave her in the main coop to hatch the eggs will the chicks be ok in there with the other hen's poop etc?

I know the chicks will need chick starter and not layer pellets, but I have layer pellets in raised polypipe feeders. Will that be ok to leave the layer pellets in those and also provide chick crumbles low to the ground?

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20190821_180558.jpg
    IMG_20190821_180558.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 6
I haven't done any forays into bantam chicks, so I don't have any experience on that.

You'll want to block other hens from getting into her nest. If they have a squabble (and some broody hens WILL squabble) - the result is often crushed eggs. I've done hardware cloth frames over a nest opening to keep momma hen from being harassed by her flockmates. BUT she will need off the nest once a day if you box her in, and you'll need to be on-hand to let her back in after she's gone to relieve herself, eat, drink etc.

As for brooder space- yes- for the first 7-10 especially- give them their own area. Generally my broody hens hatch in a crate in the house so I can hear what's going on and ensure she's accepting the babies. The hen will sit for about 3 days during the hatching process while the chicks poke out for some food and water. If you let her hatch in the coop- again- very important to seal it up so no tiny babies can leave the nest and no other hens can get IN the nest.

For another week I keep them in their own dry protected area while they figure out that momma hen actually has legs and walks around - and they outgrow their gullible stage where they have no clue that anything can hurt them. By the end of that period, their getaway sticks (legs) have sprouted and they're smart enough to look for cover. I try to keep them with the rest of the flock in view once hatch time has finished so it's not brand-new to them. Again- make sure the babies can't slip out unprotected by momma. Many of us use 1/2" hardware cloth for this purpose.

When momma and the other hens reunite, there will probably be some conflict. I've found adding a tasty treat like a Flock Block or two - gives the other hens something else to think about while momma shows her babies where everything is. Your ramp looks fine- if they're around 10 days, they'll make it up just fine. Or maybe momma will help out.
Betty's Brood 6-20-16 230 Easy way up.jpg

As for food- once momma and babies join your flock - move the whole group to the chick food crumble and add oyster shells. I go unmedicated, but buy some Corid in case they're affected by coccidiosis - or you can go medicated - the "medicine" is just the Corid in lower doses - allowed by the FDA in laying hens. Even if you put the layer up high … momma will grab it and give it to them - even breaking down pellets with her beak. Or they'll jump up and eat it. LOL

Enjoy! It's a fun process! Don't forget to get a candler to check on the eggs from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom