first time hatching eggs! Help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SueMuffin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Ok my BYC friends, I, on impulse, bought a LG 10200 with auto egg turner. I ran it for 1 day to regulate temp, set at 99.5 F. Today I put 30 eggs in, it will hold 40. Filled the water trough at the bottom, put 3 thermometers in. Cant be too

careful on the first run!! The eggs are FBCM's and Olive eggers. I also have a hygrometer in the bator. I know I need to candle the eggs in a week, but Im not sure of the humidity settings and when to change them. Oh also I took 1 plug

out of the top of the bator. Do I have it all right? is there anything else I need to know. The eggs are from my own FBCM flock so I dont have to worry about mail damage to the eggs. thanks for any and all suggestions and comments. As

I said this is my first adventure in Hatching eggs!![​IMG]

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    first of all.. use only ONE thermometer.. pick one you think is correct and get the rest out of there.. I could go into a long explanation why,, but for just this one time, trust me..

I run about 40% humidity, try to raise it to 60% at lockdown..

due to the many opinions about humidity, and a lot of experimenting I have done.. humidity is not all that important..
    too high is worse than too low..
    except at lockdown, too low humidity% will cause sticky chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by