1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time hatching eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by philo, Jan 14, 2016.

1. philo

philo New Egg

Jan 14, 2016
    My eggs has pip but I think something is wrong because it's beak is out the pip hole n isn't moving there is no movement

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi there :welcome

It may just be resting, hatching is very hard work for them and they take long breaks. That's why the hatching process takes a long time and should not be rushed. How long has the egg been pipped for now?

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch! You won't go wrong listening to Yorkshire coop on hatching, she's great with that.

Thanks for joining us!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hello again, if the chick has his beak out the hole - he can breathe in air. He is probably just resting. Hatching is very hard work for a chick.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

When a chick pips, it can remain in this position for 24 to 48 hours. During this time the chick is absorbing the last of the egg yolk and detaching blood veins from inside the egg shell. So what ever you do, do not try to break it out. When it has gone through the entire process of what I just described, it will zip out. [​IMG]

Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by