First Time Hatching - incubator edition

Quick question: when should I candle next? Day 7?

I don't really go by specific dates for candling. I candle when I feel like it, lol. Day 10 is usually a fun day with lots of movement for newbies to see. They're big enough to often be moving around but still small enough to where the light still penetrates.

Yes day 10, as they age it get harder to see inside the egg, make sure you don't touch them after day 18, you need to set the incubator so it does not turn, add water so you get higher humidity, 65% and up if possible and leave them alone and watch and wait, some will come out of shell at 21 days and some early and some a day late? If they are making holes in the eggs and the humidity drops, it shrink wrap them, casing them to get trap inside the eggs. Happy Hatching!

I don't really go by specific dates for candling. I candle when I feel like it, lol. Day 10 is usually a fun day with lots of movement for newbies to see. They're big enough to often be moving around but still small enough to where the light still penetrates.
Well, that sounds good to me. I figured candling too much would be bad since it could end up clogging the pores in the eggs with oils and other things from your hands.

Well, that sounds good to me. I figured candling too much would be bad since it could end up clogging the pores in the eggs with oils and other things from your hands.
I agree with you there! Look at this way? They wont allow anyone to touch paintings and this is reason you speak of.

Today is Day 10 for me.... I'm anxious for it to get dark outside so I can take a look!

I actually candle way more often than "you're supposed to" and it hasn't caused any problems for me. I'm always careful to wash and dry my hands well before handling the eggs.

IMG_20200324_160055177.jpg
This here was a crazy Rooster, his dad was a bantam and mom was Road island red.. I give him away to be a Guard Dog? :) This was last years hatch.. i make crazy chickens.

Back
Top Bottom