First Time Hatching Issues - Navel, Feet, Neck

Alissabeth

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2019
Hi all,

New here. We are on day 22 and have had several to hatch already with some still working their way out. I was given these eggs to use for science class, so I do not know the condition of the flock.

My issue is we have a lot of deformities going on. The major one I am concerned about is unhealed navel. I have one in the incubator still that has stargazing symptoms (been giving nutri-drench and seems to be improving) and an unhealed navel. He is going on 48 hours since hatch. I know he needs access to food and water, but I’m worried about others pecking at him. Should I move him to brooder or isolate him?

Also, some have toes that aren’t separating, but rather staying close so they are having difficulty walking. Anything I can do for that?

Appreciate any help!

I am not a big authority on hatching problems, but humidity issues and other incubation issues can cause some problems. I would remove the older chick to a brooder with heat so that it can dry out. Betadine (povidone iodine) can be applied to the navel to disinfect and dry it out. If the stargazing continues after a few days of the NutriDrench, you can continue it plus some vitamin E by opeing a capsule onto food. I don’t know how to handle the webbed toes, but I would keep posting about it.

To me, those symptoms imply humidity trouble, possible bacteria trouble, and possible malnutrition of the breeders. Were the eggs fairly dirty?
Yes they were dirty. It was a local person, not certified or anything. Will definitely make sure I get from a better source for the next hatching.

Good note! Today chick is doing fine with neck. I’m still watching the navel which seems to be healing and I’m hoping will fall off.

Back
Top Bottom