First time hatching silkies in incubator

Amanda13

Hatching
Feb 28, 2016
Molino, Fl
Hi! This is my first time using an incubator and out of 10 blue silkie eggs 3 developed. My first hatched and I'm unsure of how long it should stay in the incubator before I take her out and by taking it out will it disturb the other chick that's trying to make its appearance into the world because Another chick has made a little hole in the egg as I type this.

Hi and welcome to BYC! The Learning Centre is a great place to start off as it has loads of info on anything chicken. Joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area.

Sorry, i have no experience using an incubator, but I'm sure that another member will be able to help you out very soon.

All the best
CT

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! My general rule is to leave hatched chicks in the incubator for 24 hours after hatch. Hopefully by then your others should have hatched. Opening the incubator too often can cause a drop in humidity and any unhatched/pipped eggs could become shrink wrapped in the shell.
They have yolk reserves to live off so don't need food and water for 24 - 72 hours. I like to get mine eating and drinking by 24 so they don't get too weak and are strong and healthy.
Congrats on your hatched chick, hope you have some more soon.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you!! He's just in there knocking around all of the other eggs this morning lol. Maybe someone can give me some advice on this as well. When the chick that hatch started to pip, it was almost 2 days later that he finally decided to come out. Is that normal?
Also, love this site! It's my go to when I'm googling questions about my flock! Everything I find is always helpful and always answers my questions :)
2764.png

Alright, new issue. The chicks legs go out from each side. She tries to keep them straight but they just slip right out from underneath her. I have a cloth in there with her but it's not helping.

Why are the legs doing this?

2 days is a little long for the chick to be pipped but not make an appearance. They are usually out by 24 hours of the initial external pip. It looks like your chick has spraddle leg and you need to try and fix this as soon as possible. Here is an article all about this condition ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-fix-spraddle-leg

Did the chick hatch with its legs like this? Or has it developed since you moved it to the brooder? Have you always had the cloth in there for the chick? If not the chick being on a smooth surface either in the incubator or brooder could have caused this. If they can't get a grip with their feet this can happen. If it hatched this way this could have been a cause for how late it was to hatch.

Is there any other action form your other eggs?

See that's what I thought too! Everything I've read said 1-24 hours after pipping. My second just hatched. As for the first one, hers were like that while she was still in the incubator, after I took her out after 24 hours it was even worse. I figured the towel would give it a bit more stability. When it hatched I watched the leg just stretch out of the egg and was in shock with how long it was for such a tiny egg. Going to read the article now. Thank you so much. All of this is new to me so all of the advice is greatly appreciated :)

Your most welcome :highfive:

Congrats on your second hatcher :clap

Do you have some shavings to put in the brooder for the chicks (not cedar)? This should give them better grip and stop them getting into the side of the box where it is slippy or getting stuck under the towel.

welcome-byc.gif

How's your little chick with the leg issue doing?

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom