First time hatching- video at 13 days

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Threecritters, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Threecritters

Threecritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Lansing
    Hi all! [​IMG] I'm new so don't hate me if I say something wrong! [​IMG]

My hubby and I made an incubator based on some of the ideas we found here and after some initial bobbles we have 2 eggs due on Tuesday and another 3 due next Saturday (...we just learned different hatch dates aren't great...so here's hoping for the best). My parents have chickens...I guess you could call them mutts? We use them as egg layers and fly control for the horses (they do a great job keeping the pasture manure spread out to fly larvae can't survive!). They have a white crested polish rooster, a banty (??breed) rooster, 20ish hens of all sorts, and 2 ducks. Now that I'm incubating they are going to have more! Haha! [​IMG]

Anyway...here is a video I took of one of the eggs at 13 days. Everything look normal? I officially had my first chicken hatch nightmare last night (and I thought you all were exaggerating) so I am coming here for reassurance!!

Can someone let me know if the link works? Thanks and hi to all!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. The link works fine. Good job. It is growing well. [​IMG]

Edited to say Good luck on your hatching. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  3. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    It looks very nice! I saw a little foot :)

4. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    [​IMG] How can something already be moving in there?

5. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Very cool video! The link works fine. Is that a white egg? I could see all the veins and the little chick so well!

6. Threecritters

Threecritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Lansing
    Thanks for the comments! Yes, it is a white egg. All my others are green or brown, so this one is my favorite because I can see in it so well!

What should I do for humidity since tomorrow is lockdown day for the first 2 but the other 3 aren't due until a week from tomorrow? I have kept it at about 40% most of the incubation, but can easily change it either way. Thoughts?

7. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Quote:Man I can't help you there. I'm an incubating "newbie" myself. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

8. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    We are "due" next weekend too!! I go into lockdown on Wednesday! All of my eggs look the same too. I have green, brown and white. Can't wait to see what hatches! [​IMG] Best of luck! I'll be following you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by