First Time Hatching with a Broody ???

MyShunshyn

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Sperrassoville, OK
I had ordered some hatching eggs and had planned on incubating them but as luck would have it I have and 2 hen go broody just in time. YEA!
The first hen is a Belgian D'uccle and actually she has hatched one before so I am not so worried about her and the second is a novice Blue Copper Marans, she is a determined little thing though so we are going to go for it.

They are in separate runs with their flock mates, and each will be getting 4 eggs. The first hen is in a fenced area of the run just so as not to be bothered. The second hen has decided that she only wanted to brood in an elevated nest box and WILL NOT relocate.
This is fine with me I guess I will just move her after the chicks hatch?

My main question is should I wait until evening to place the fertile eggs under them? they are now sitting on golf balls for encouragement until the Hatching eggs arrived. Or can I place them at any time?

Also, if one of the hens decides to give up is it possible to just move the eggs to a back up incubator and have them hatch?
I am home all the time so they wouldn't be alone long.

I guess I am just nervous, these are Jubilee Orpington and Chocolate Orpington eggs so I do have a little $ invested.
I have hatched in an incubator before but I have chosen to go the Broody route because it will be easier to integrate the chicks into their respective flocks.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

MyShunshyn

If one gives up just give the eggs to the other one. Broody moms are the best option! Giving eggs depends on the birds themselves. Most work best if you change them at night time. I had a constant broody that laid her first 4 eggs ever then sat. She would raise them for 3 months, drop one egg, then sit again. I could place an egg in front of her in the day time and she would scoot it under her and position it then wait for the next egg I would give her. She was a very determined broody! (lost her to a hawk while protecting her brood) If you are not sure then just change them out at night.

I have considered that if one gives up just giving them to the other hen but the D'uccle is just a tiny thing.. I seriously doubt the could sit on 8 eggs at once! LOL
Thanks for your input though.

The one in my pic hatched out 11 in one sitting just fine. (the dark spots are leaves on fresh cut grass so you see how small she is) They flatten and puff themselves up to keep the eggs warm.

Back
Top Bottom