First time hatching

texmix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
North Texas
Ok, I got an incudator and now I am ready to try my first hatch. Incubator has been running for over 24 hours. I have a stable temp of 99.6 (forced air) and my humidity is sitting at 33%. I think I am ready to put in my eggs. I figured I would try my first time with some homegrown eggs from my mixed flock. I have been collecting eggs for five days and storing them in a small mini-fridge at about 58 degrees. After a little reading I think I am going to follow the dry hatch method and keep the humidity low for the first 18 days and raise at lockdown. How does all of this sound? Am I tracking?

I am doing a trial run here as well. I am not doing a dry incubation here because it is dry here as it is! People say it work though. I havent slept well since they have been in the incubator....I am stressing it will break and I wont know! Good luck. Be sure big side of the egg up!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Looks like you are ready. I have kept eggs for up to 10 days. I have kept them cool and also on my counter in a room where the temp stays around 80 degrees. My hatches have had the same success rate except the eggs stored at the warmer temp hatched earlier. Good luck and have fun!!!

good luck ive had my forced air sence wed and its been holding temp really good picked up a egg turner yesterday put it in and was still holding temp so this morrning i went to a local farmer and got 2 dozen mixed eggs from him he said hes got plenty of roosters in the flock but im going to end up with a bunch of mutts if they hatch for me its also my first hatch i let the eggs sit for 5 hrs befor i set them in the bator and its been 5 hrs and im back up to temp already in it

Good luck with your first hatch! Take lots of pictures!!!

I'm in lockdown myself right now. 9 eggs out of 14 are good to go (not too shabby for shipped eggs!).

Thanks for all the replies. I am wearing down a trail to the incudator. Can't help but check on them all the time.

welcome-byc.gif
I am on days 16(with 8 eggs) and 12(with 4 eggs) just candled all of them. They all show life !!!! Not to bad seeing I started with 16 and still have 12 going. This is my first hatch. It is very egg-citing to watch them grow inside that little shell. Just can't wait until this Friday HATCH DAY !!!!!
wee.gif

Well, I just candled the eggs. Out of 18 all are developing but one. I guess one infertile egg out of 18 isn't bad. My daughter got a real kick out of seeing the movement inside the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom