First time hatching

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Orpy, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

Extremely new to hatching eggs...

I was informed that my broody hens could co-exist in the coop with my other hens to hatch some eggs - I have since found out this is not a good idea, as from my limited experience, the non-broody hens want to lay their eggs where my broody hens are nesting on fertile eggs [​IMG] (I bought fertile bantam eggs. Beside a pullet egg that has been mixed up in the clutch of eggs, there is no way of mistaking whose egg is whose).

I candled them after 6 days of resting under my broody hens - to my amazement and joy [​IMG]some eggs were fertile and 1 or 2 were not. I have still got to candle them all as I only candled a few because I'm an extremely impatient person[​IMG]

I've just come back from checking my broody hens and eggs to find 1 smashed and it looks like another has a fracture in it [​IMG]

I have tried to move the clutch and 1 of my broody eggs to a different location in the coop, but she had no interest in sitting on the eggs until I put her and the clutch back to one of the nesting boxes the eggs get passed around from [​IMG](when 1 broody hen jumps off her eggs the other broody hen steals them - I don't mind as long as they keep them all warm) [​IMG]

At the end of this adventure I at least hope to get 1 or 2 chicks out of this clutch - I regularly check on my broody girls and 'their' eggs.

If I'm lucky enough to get a chick or 2 is it advisable to remove the chicks from the coop? Do I need to also remove the 'mothers' too? I've heard the bigger hens may peck at them.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

You can put up a small fence barrier to protect your broody and her eggs. After the eggs have hatched, move them to a more suitable area until the chicks are a little older - a cage or brooder box inside the coop would work fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!! Glad you joined. [​IMG]

4. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the welcome and advice [​IMG] and I'll make sure to separate my little chicky's [​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you have a broody with other layers you should label all the eggs you want to hatch at the start and remove the volunteers as they arrive.

6. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

Good idea [​IMG] I didn't think I'd get any mixed up as the fertile eggs I bought are bantam eggs, I don't have any bantams in my flock - but to my surprise 1 of my pullets laid her first egg in with them [​IMG] In future I'll make sure I mark them all as I'll be (hopefully) breeding different breeds and using an incubator.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  9. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

thanks redsoxs [​IMG] that thread you've posted is extremely helpful for me...thanks everyone for your help and advice [​IMG] I'm loving this site/group [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. Orpy

Orpy Out Of The Brooder

8 out of 12 eggs viable [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by