First time having (heritage breed) meat chickens - how to handle them?

@FortCluck It is hard to not get attached even though we tell them we are going to eat them and some of them already are on my "shit list" haha. We definitely haven't named any of them. We've also only been handling them when we have to, which has made them really skittish. I'm not sure if that's a personality/breed thing or a handling thing. We'll have to learn where the line is.

@FortCluck It is hard to not get attached even though we tell them we are going to eat them and some of them already are on my "shit list" haha. We definitely haven't named any of them. We've also only been handling them when we have to, which has made them really skittish. I'm not sure if that's a personality/breed thing or a handling thing. We'll have to learn where the line is.
I have one that is on that list too because it pecked my leg really hard. It can be removed from that list when it is nice again

Which breeds are worse for pecking, in your experience?
My experience is VERY limited, but the Delaware chicks seem to bite a lot. Like, not just peck but grab onto you. They also seem to cry a lot and are more whiny than the rest. Which is unfortunate because one of them looks to be a handsomely maturing cockerel. We also have some kind of red chick, either RIR or New Hampshire and one of them pecks as well. The ones I have not been bit or pecked by are the Brahmas, Speckled Sussexes, and Barred Rocks. Although the Barred Rock will run up and look like they are going to challenge they haven't done anything... yet! We'll see how they are once they start maturing. The Brahmas live up to their reputation and are very mild mannered thus far.

Of our adult hens, my Buff Orpington was the worst but she has mellowed out after she was told by me that pecking and biting are not appropriate and that's a good way to end up in the soup :D

Brahmas, Speckled Sussexes and Barred Rocks will be your keepers with another selection further down the line....

My guess is you will wind up with a contest between Barred Rocks and Brahmas!

If you have space and isolated coops, try breeding either one to a Naked Neck for a meat bird. Results might be fun!

Brahmas, Speckled Sussexes and Barred Rocks will be your keepers with another selection further down the line....

My guess is you will wind up with a contest between Barred Rocks and Brahmas!

If you have space and isolated coops, try breeding either one to a Naked Neck for a meat bird. Results might be fun!
I was actually hoping McMurray would send us some Turkens with our assorted bunch even though I don't particularly care for how they look. I read they are good meat birds! The other cross we wanted to include was some Dorking, but all the hatcheries ran out this year (I was too late anyway).

Back
Top Bottom