First time! Hello! :D

What side of the egg do you candle? Pointy end against the light or rounded air-sac?

I found that I can see the air cell the best if I have it sort of on its side but with the air cell part almost on the light. Does that make sense? We saw the babies the best with the egg on its side and sort of rolled it until we saw veining and the chick. Pointy end didn't really show us much. I think your supposed to candle from the air cell part.

Ok I couldn't help it! My hubs has a really bright LED flashlight. He wasn't home with it when we candled last time and we sort of had a hard time seeing the EE babies since the shells are green. With this flashlight we could see the air cells really good. We saw 4 or 5 babies moving around in there which my daughter really likes to watch. We did see 2 more blood rings and 1 that looks cracked. I'm gonna leave it until next weekend and see what it looks like. Do you all think I should cull it earlier since it is internally cracked?

I only know what I've read and they say that you should watch the cracked eggs but if you see no progress, pull it because bacteria may grow on to the other eggs and kill them. I would do what you say and leave it until next weekend and candle it to see if any progress has been made and if not take it out. Good luck and keep us updated.

Man, I'm anxious! I want it to be 7 days already to see if this is working! LOL. I keep looking (even though I said I wouldn't) and pick up a random egg every day to see if I can see anything.. but I think the only thing I can see so far (day 3 or 4..) is the darker shape of the yolk.

Man, I'm anxious! I want it to be 7 days already to see if this is working! LOL. I keep looking (even though I said I wouldn't) and pick up a random egg every day to see if I can see anything.. but I think the only thing I can see so far (day 3 or 4..) is the darker shape of the yolk.

Stop looking! Lol I have no room to talk I used needing to add water as an excuse to candle the EE eggs lol. Hold off until day 7 and you will be amazed!
I think there was just a yolk floating around in the cracked egg but I don't want to eggtospy it and kill it.

To all first time hatchers: Congrats on an other step in poultry husbandry! You're in for a fun ride! I suggest that if you've not already read it, check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=hatching+eggs+101 It should be required reading before plugging in a bator! I also suggest that you calibrate what ever you are using for a thermometer. Even if you have 2 or 3 that match in their readings, they could still be wrong! Check your bator to be sure there are no warm or cool spots. Even with a fan, most bators will not be consistent throughout. Don't follow the instructions that came with your bator re: humidity. Excellent article in HE101 re: "Dry incubation". Now, for brooding, check out this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom