first time in three years my dog chased a chicken

Chickenhugger2

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Today my dog chased and killed two of my 8 week old chickens. He has never chased any of my adult chickens. Do you think it was that they were not full sized and more vulnerable? Do you think it is instinct to chase the younger birds because he knows the adut birds willl peck him? I am hoping this does not worsen. my adults free range.The eight week olds are in a pen that had an opening so they got out and the chase ensued. Any advice other than the obvious? Thanks...

Chicks move differently from adult chickens - they're fast and fluttery, more like bugs.

My dog is getting good with the adult birds, but when I get chicks again, I'm going to start him over from scratch, using a leash, rewards, brief exposure, etc.

Mulewagon, that could explain a lot . He has zero interest in the grown up girls. But his whole demeanor changes around the 8 week olds. I used to have him by my side in the run... But won't allow him anymore. Borrowed a shock collar from a friend . I'll use it if I have to. Thanks for your input. :D:D

just train him to ignore the chicks. keep him on a leash, reward him for paying attention to you and ignoring the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom