First time incubating - am I forgetting anything?

kayla_sayswa

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Western Wisconsin
Apologizing in advance for the long post...thanks to those that stick w/me and read the whole thing.
smile.png

I'm new to raising chickens and this is my first attempt at hatching eggs. Odds are against me that this will turn out ok since I'm buying eggs from Texas (I live in Wisconsin) and of course the temps out there today had to drop to zero degrees (last week we were in the 30's).

At any rate..here's my checklist. i'd appreciate any comments/suggestions or "hey you idiot - you forgot this_____" comments too!

* Brinsea Eco 20 w/manual turn. Been running at 99.8 consistently for 3 days.

* Tested out the hygrometer (accurite from wally world) with the salt water in a cup in a bag test - reading about 7% lower than it should so I'm making that manual adjustment

* Read through the 30+ pages thread on humidity and the wide opinions that go with it. I'm going to shoot for 35-40% for days 1-18 and 55%+ days 19-21. My house is about 25-30% and temp is about 68. I'm setting the brinsea in the main floor bathroom where there is no windows and a shower every morning to help keep humidity up.

* Going to let eggs settle (small pointy side down) for about 18 hours before placing them. I"m getting the eggs shipped to work, so they'll just go in the next morning. (now..would the car ride home mean I should start the clock over? It would be about 13 hours from that point until the next morning. - is that sufficient? Or should I wait until I get home the next day - it would be about 24 hours at that point which seems too long)

* One tray is filled with water in the bater now..will fill 2nd on day 18 and add sponges if I can't get it to 55%.

* Bought a mini-mag to candle the eggs starting at day 10. I'm new at this so I figured I'd wait for an obvious change in development. (if I have a bad egg, is this too long to wait - I don't want a stinky exploded egg or unhappy husband!)

* Know to NOT OPEN the incubator once eggs start hatching or risk losing humidity, temp, and carbon dioxide.

* Plan to turn either 3 or 5 times per day (so it's resting on different sides each nite)

Finally - here are my questions.

I'm a little fuzzy on how to actually place the eggs in the brinsea's tray with the little wire dividers that came with it. You "turn" the eggs without opening the incubator by rocking the whole thing forward and then the next time all the way back, allowing it to rest on the edges (hence the octo-shaped of the base) each time. If you rock the incubator, the eggs essentially are still pointy side down, but lay at 45 degrees one way, then at 135 degrees. Do I have this correct??

Can the eggs touch each other? I'm getting 15 eggs so it will be a little cramped, but not too bad. Do you move the eggs into different places (like a hen would do, rotating middle to outside, etc)?

If I have a bad egg, how many days before it gets really stinky? My lovely hubby is concerned we're going to stink up the whole house.

I sure hope I don't mess this up because I'll have some nice salmon faverolles, bc marans, and golden cuckoo marans at the end of this!!
tongue.png
big_smile.png

Yes, the eggs can touch eachother. I have a brinsea octagon 40 and the eggs rest against eachother. Also, you can put the eggs in the incubator once the warm up to room temp, just shut off the turner for a day or 2, that is what I do. That way they still get to "rest".

SWEET!!!! Congrats on you adventure. It will be fine! As for the car ride, unless its a rough ride it really should not matter. But to be safe yes, you ca start over the time. I got mine in the mail box. When I got home I put them on the counter to rest and adjust to the temp inside. I placed them in the bator the next morning. Auto turner. Set it and just kept everything adjusted. I had 14 of 16 hatch. First time to hatch! So I think I did some thing right. As for a stinky or exploding egg... It can happen. It is not common! I did have a stinky egg the other day. I could only smell it after I removed it for candling. It was 18 days old. I was moving them from the bator to the hatcher. I smelled some thin. It was NOT really bad at all. NOT YET! Even when I took it outside to examine what went wrong. When broken open it still didn't smell that bad. Just a lil worse than boiling a bunch for easter. I know they can be real stink bombs! Its just a roll of the dice. It is not common! But it does happen! The reason you seem to hear alot about the BIG ONE! is that we are all here to talk about our experiences and the concentration of owners here makes it seem more common than it is. As for turning the eggs 3-5- even 7 is correct. Touching is fine! Rotation around bator is not recomended! Just in case you have a hot or cool spot in the bator. Mark down the location of each egg in the bator. Then IF you have some that do not make it. Make a note of their location in bator. Next time if you have the same problem in the same spot, You know you might have a hot or cool spot in the bator. Just a note, When I candled (Brown eggs) I saw a dark spot. I never saw movement! But as I said I had a great hatch! So just be patiant! My second set took 24 days to hatch. I still got 80% hatch rate. They just runnin late. LOL Take alot of pics! every step! its cool to look back and see things you may have missed in the moment. Or just to have a photo record. Its amazing how fast they grow! I kept a camera beside the bator. Got a few good shots. I was so eggcited I didn't get enough photos.

Good Luck and God Bless!!!

Quote:
Thanks for this advice!! I had not thought to do this, so I do appreciate it and will add this to my checklist!

And thank you Sundown for the idea of just letting them come to room temp and placing them in the incubator w/o turning them for a short time. The car ride home is pretty smooth but about 45 minutes long. I think I'll just put them in the incubator in the morning.

Mail hasn't arrived yet at work....I sure hope they arrive today!!

I know How You feel!
hugs.gif
I orderd 60 eggs from 7 different breeders any where from a day to a week apart. LOL I was always expecting eggs. I felt sad every day when I didn't get any. LOL But now I have 34 JG fuzzy butts in the brooder. 10 RIR eggs in the hatcher, and 17 eggs in bator.
ep.gif
This was my first try at hatching my own Too! Thank God It all turned out good so far.

Good luck and God Bless!

Bator is more JG all are B/B/S JG's cept 10 RIR for DM in law.

ADDED: and 3 Packing P nuts givin from friend. Dunno what they are yet. Just lil yellow fuzzy Butts! LOL

Last edited:
They're coming today! They're coming today!!
lol.png
ya.gif

Why does it have to 5 below outside???!!!!????

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorting Complete STILLWATER MN 55082 02/25/10 7:28am

Arrival at Unit STILLWATER MN 55082 02/25/10 5:47am

Processed through Sort COPPELL TX 75099 02/23/10 5:07pm
Facility

Processed through Sort NORTH HOUSTON TX 77315 02/22/10 7:59pm
Facility

Acceptance NEW CANEY TX 77357 02/22/10 4:03pm

Have you called the local PO? Tell them you will come get them asap! If not I hope the mailman has a van or car. That way they eill be inside and not in the open back of a truck. It was 30 when the RIR sat in the mailbox all day. They are hatching now! I had 1 clear and now have 4 out & 1 more pipped!!!! They are a lil behind schedule....Its day 5 of lock down! so 25 days old now. Better late than never!!!!!!!
fl.gif

Congrats!
ya.gif
I am so EGG-cited for you!!! LOL
gig.gif

Good Luck and God Bless!

They are getting delivered to my employer (tee hee I'm posting while work..shhhhh). Since it's a big business we have our own mail room. The guys in the mail room know to be "be nice" to the box.

Back
Top Bottom