First time incubating and they really hatched!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redlawyer, Mar 29, 2009.

1. redlawyer

redlawyer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    I've been obsessed with chickens for years. But, unfortunately, I live in a subdivision with a homeowner's association that forbids "poultry" and I live in a county that requires 400 feet between poultry and the property line (which I don't have). I finally said what the heck and ordered three leghorn eggs from McMurray Hatchery, at the time the only hatchery I knew of. I ordered eggs because McMurray will only ship in increments of 25 and I could order three eggs. I figured I could hide three chickens from my neighbors, but not 25. I made an incubator from a styrofoam cooler, thermostat, lightbulb and digital thermometer. I received four eggs from the hatchery and started reading here. So now I know about ordering from other hatcheries and the trials and tribulations of hatching your own eggs. I was convinced that my eggs would never hatch, being a novice in a home made incubator. When I learned that Tractor Supply would have chicks, I took the kids on a half hour drive and picked out six beautiful chicks, three leghorn pullets (look at me, I know how to use the lingo now!) and three bantams (one silkie and two look like chipmunks). The saleslady showed us an old wive's tale to determine the sex, we'll see how good we were. (No way to hide a rooster from the neighbors). So,,, now a week after we got the chicks, two eggs hatched! Well, one hatched all on its own, the other I helped after waiting 24 hours from first pip with no progress. Good thing too, because her head was in the opposite end from the pip.

Next step is the coop my husband is building, next to the deck so that it will only be visible to one neighbor, whom we've promised fresh eggs! Sorry this is so long, but its been an awesome month.[​IMG]:weee:woot:yiipchick:jumpy:clap

2. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    First off.... [​IMG],and congrats on your hatch.But beware this is only the begining......

3. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Congratulations and [​IMG]

4. Hecate

Hecate Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Ohio
    Welcome to the chicken club! And congratulations on your first hatch... best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by