First time incubating. Help

sharaw20

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2016
I am incubating for the first time. I have an incubator and an egg turner :). Any tips. Any help would be great. I have read stuff on line and have be preparing for a few weeks now. Help help :)

I am incubating for the first time. I have an incubator and an egg turner
smile.png
. Any tips. Any help would be great. I have read stuff on line and have be preparing for a few weeks now. Help help
smile.png

Great, I remember when I first started----many years ago---early 80's. Be careful its addictive---in 2015 I hatched over 6000, hatched a few more 1000 since----Don't Let it take hold of your Life---LOL(unless you want to).

What kind of incubator you got? What are you hatching?

I borrowed my friends its a 1602n thermal air Hova-Bator with just a basic egg turner. I will have a mix of Easter eggers and then others with be a cross from black copper marans and cream leg bars. All eggs will be dark brown blue and green eggs.

I borrowed my friends its a 1602n thermal air Hova-Bator with just a basic egg turner. I will have a mix of Easter eggers and then others with be a cross from black copper marans and cream leg bars. All eggs will be dark brown blue and green eggs.

I like the 1602n and have had good hatches in it. I would suggest a low humidity for the first 18 days(30's) and a high for the hatch (70's) when you remove the turner and go into lock-down. Works great for me. Good Luck

Edited to add---your choice of eggs are a little harder to candle so get you bright flash light and a set-up to where you can candle them when its time----you want a dark room and a set-up where you have none or very little light leakage around the outside of the egg so you can see the insides the best. I use a very bright rechargeable flash light and have no problem candling them as far as telling if they are fertile----watching the heartbeat/movement etc is tougher on those colors.

Last edited:
Yes I know they will be harder to tell. I was going to leave them and wait and see what I get after 21 days lol. I had one of my chicks go broody last year and I stuck some eggs under her and I checked them on day 10 and then right before the lock down and I didn't see anything. I was so disappointed lol.

Yes I know they will be harder to tell. I was going to leave them and wait and see what I get after 21 days lol. I had one of my chicks go broody last year and I stuck some eggs under her and I checked them on day 10 and then right before the lock down and I didn't see anything. I was so disappointed lol.

LOL- OK Just a Piece of advise-----if you leave unfertile eggs in your incubator----they "can" explode-----mercy what a nasty smell and/or they can be giving of gasses if they are rotting and that's not good for the rest---bad bacteria. I would want to get them out---just saying. You can tell on day 18 if they have formed chicks in them or not.

That's good to know. I don't want them exploding ewww. Ok so I will check them. Lol. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom