First time incubating, need advice

HouseDuckarian

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2019
I have a little cochin egg that pipped the wrong end over 24 hours ago. Membrane exposed started to look dry. Applied a little coconut oil amd upped the humidity. Watched all day. Still peeping but no progress. I followed the assistance instructions here and removed outer membrane and shell from air sack area. The inner membrane is completely separated from the outer and the shell. But i still see veins. Chick is still ok for now. I gently set him.over in a bowl as the newly hatched keep pecking at the exposed membranes. I am stumped as to what to do next. How do i help this guy out without hurting him???? He just doesnt seem to be in the right position and you know what it looks like if you put something in a baggy then drop it in water.....thats what this looks like.....please help!!!

Pics will help. If there is veins let it be until no more veins. Keep that membrane moist. By know since you posted last night veins should be gone. I would carefully assist. If it hasn’t hatched yet. I use tweezers to pull the membrane away from the chick and only remove enough shell so it can finish pushing out itself. If it has slowed it breathing or seems in distress finish helping. If it still has the yolk sack attached put it back in the shell and then in a cup and back in the incubator for a few more hours. Hope this helps and isn’t to late.

Thank you! It was so tired and had been working for a long time. I did leave part of the shell at the yolk sac, as there was still a tad but that needed absorbed. So far the little guy is tuckered out but peeping and trying to wiggle around after resting most of the evening. Still watching him close but letting him do his thing now.

I just did this checked every 2 hours after clearing the nostrils as was externally pipped, but put a small dish in incubator and moved it to the bathroom so when I had to open which we aren't supposed to do, dry air wasn't getting in as I was already opening it for the assisted chick I moved the others to the brooder then checked every 2 hours to make sure they weren't drying out and stuck, the shell was really hard. when all of a sudden chick started chirping frantically after about 10 hours rest, I checked it again veins had receded but had to finish helping it out as the membrane was stuck to it so it could not kick out.
once out got it to drink from some water I'd added 1 drop of poly vi sol to, they then selt for a while as hatching even assisted is still a lot of hard work and next morning they were up on their feet and doing fine with the others

Thank you! It was so tired and had been working for a long time. I did leave part of the shell at the yolk sac, as there was still a tad but that needed absorbed. So far the little guy is tuckered out but peeping and trying to wiggle around after resting most of the evening. Still watching him close but letting him do his thing now.
I had to help a little chick like that 2 weeks ago. Was 36 hours before it got properly on Its legs but it’s doing great now. Sounds like you didn’t everything right

Back
Top Bottom