First time incubating!!!!

Thistledewfarm

Chirping
Apr 23, 2016
This is my first time incubating!!! I have a dozen eggs in the bator!
Really hoping I have some hatch as my 3 year old daughter is pretty excited to have chicks!!
My humidity is reading 40%.. I just bought a hygrometer from the store to make sure it's accurate..
I'm worried there isn't enough humidity?? It's so hard to know!!!

Also I added 1 egg a day later then the rest.. Will that be ok for lockdown??

I run my humidity at 50% and usually run a 98% hatch rate but you will get different opinions from everyone on what the correct humidity is. The last egg will be ok for lock down but it might hatch later than the rest. Just keep an eye on the air cells.

I run my humidity at 50% and usually run a 98% hatch rate but you will get different opinions from everyone on what the correct humidity is. The last egg will be ok for lock down but it might hatch later than the rest. Just keep an eye on the air cells.

Ok thanks! I'll try getting it up to 50%.. I'm just worried about how I'm gonna get it higher for lockdown when I can't seem to get it much higher then 40 right now??

I just added a sponge with warm water so I'll see if that helps..
Any suggestions?

This is my first time incubating!!! I have a dozen eggs in the bator!
Really hoping I have some hatch as my 3 year old daughter is pretty excited to have chicks!!
My humidity is reading 40%.. I just bought a hygrometer from the store to make sure it's accurate..
I'm worried there isn't enough humidity?? It's so hard to know!!!

Also I added 1 egg a day later then the rest.. Will that be ok for lockdown??
I prefer 30% for the first 17 days and 70-75% at lockdown. The trick is to find what works for your eggs. Easiest way to tell if your humidity is working for the eggs is to monitor the air cells for growth. Some people have success above 45% Many (especially in the styros) find over 45% produces a lot of DIS from drowning because they don't loose enough moisture. One thing you have to take into consideration is altitude. Higher altitudes need the higher humidity. I always recommend a low humidity incubation for people NOT in high altitudes and monitoring air cells to adjust for the humidity. The eggs themselves is another consideration. My green eggs I have to run dry because they are jumbo large and thick shelled. The shipped silkies I just hatched out I actually had to incubate at 45-50% because they were small and lost moisture faster.

Here is a link to help you if you are interested: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Back
Top Bottom