1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MommaMitchell, Mar 19, 2013.

1. MommaMitchell

MommaMitchell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    East TN
    My name is Tanya and my husband and I have decided to get into raising chickens. It took some time but I have finally convinced him that it is a great idea! I grew up raising and showing chickens and have missed it. Now that we have 3 little boys I figure it's a great time to start.

Anyway, I bought a chickbator incubator about a week ago. It was a spur of the moment purchase. I was given 3 eggs by one of my husband's family members that raises chickens. The eggs are all brown and range in size. I candled them last night and was very surprised to find all three are fertile and aready wiggling around inside. Today is day 7 of incubation. The thing is, I have no idea what is going to hatch. I know they will be chickens but that is all I know. The person we got them from has a variety of laying hens and sells their eggs. He couldn't even guarentee these were fertile and gave me these 3 for free. I am glad they are. My 2 oldest boys are super excited. My oldest wants me to print pictures of the chicks once they hatch so he can show his classmates.

We have been wanting for our local co-op to get the chicks we have decided to start our flock with for weeks now. I am so excited to be picking up some tomorrow. So they will all be about 2 weeks apart once my mystery eggs hatch. The brooder is going to be divided to keep the younger chicks safe.

So, that is my story. I am so glad to have found this site and look forward to future conversations.

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Have fun and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by