First Time Incubator Hatch, Help!

You're gonna have to update your signature line
smile.png

Congrats on the hatch!
My first time incubating, too, and mine just started making some noises.
Watching your post to see what to do about the hatchlings too.

photosmile.gif
congratualtions.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif
thumbsup.gif

I would take the chicks out. Yes there is some loss when you open up the incubator or hatcher but mine recovers rather quickly. It takes quite awhile for the eggs to cool off enough to jeopardize the hatch. I just take one of the viewing windows out of my LG and take the chicks and their shells out when they hatch and put them in a nice warm brooder. I keep the brooder between 95 and 99 degrees.. Some people leave the chicks in their incubators to dry out. A broody will get up off her nest once in awhile. Just my opinion. My hatches have been fine...

Last edited:
if possible have someone help you if you remove chicks b/c its faster so you can get the lid back on faster. so you dont have a big humidity drop also you can have a warmish wet wash rag(ring water out but not too tight) and lay it in the incubator off to the side this has helped with my humidity big time. Congrats & Good luck, ~Julie~

I would only open the incubator up every 24hrs. Any more and you'll run the risk of drying out the membranes on the pipping eggs, which will make it hard for them to break through. Chicks can go 2-3 days without anything to eat, but I would stick with the 24hr rule.

Last edited:
When you open make sure none of the other eggs are pipped. That can cause them to dry out if they are pipped and the humidity drops due to opening it up. If there are no pips you can open it quickly and take them out but I would also add a warm wet washcloth to keep the humidity up even though you open the incubator. Good luck
smile.png

Thepromise, I'm plumb tickled for you! Sounds like everything is going great. Let us know how the taped up chick does.
smile.png

They sure are in the LG incubator, the heat elements are low. Well maybe not low but the LG incubator isn't real big/tall. I'm not sure about any other incubators. I don't even know just how hot the elements really are by touch. lol but they must be since thats what heats the incubator to 99 + degrees. I've left 1 baby by it self with eggs still in there and was worried b/c just the 1 was real active. I guess it kinda depends on the babies, how active they are. ~ But I do agree with what I've read & been told, Not to open incubator during lock down. ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom