First time incubator questions.

So could anyone recommend a second incubator that's reliable and reasonable. Maybe the one I have now I'll use on day 18.

Well had to scrap the first batch of eggs. My 2 yr old turned the temp way up while I was in his room getting him some clothes and I didn't realize it until around 2 that afternoon. He did it around 830 that morning. I have started a new batch of 6 eggs, and covered the control panel using cardboard, and duct tape, and making him stay in the same room as me lol. The temp is staying between 99 and 101. Humidity is staying around 55%, and I have a new way of turning the eggs that I don't have to touch them at all. I have to just carefully raise and lower the little egg carton ends 3 times a day. I have a bit of aquarium air tube attached to a syringe with water in it to be able to add a little water when I need to, and it's working pretty well. This is only day 2 so ask me when I get closer how well it works. I think this might work better than what I was doing.

Well had to scrap the first batch of eggs. My 2 yr old turned the temp way up while I was in his room getting him some clothes and I didn't realize it until around 2 that afternoon. He did it around 830 that morning. I have started a new batch of 6 eggs, and covered the control panel using cardboard, and duct tape, and making him stay in the same room as me lol. The temp is staying between 99 and 101. Humidity is staying around 55%, and I have a new way of turning the eggs that I don't have to touch them at all. I have to just carefully raise and lower the little egg carton ends 3 times a day. I have a bit of aquarium air tube attached to a syringe with water in it to be able to add a little water when I need to, and it's working pretty well. This is only day 2 so ask me when I get closer how well it works. I think this might work better than what I was doing.

That sux. You need to get that humidity down though.

The area I live in has about 12% humidity in our house right now and that's without the humidifiers going. I was told for this area, and our elevation to keep it between 50%-60%. It's gone down to 48%jjust recently and I haven't added any water. I have a 5 mil syringe on a piece of aquarium air tube I can add a small amount of water at a time on it. I just hit day 4 today. My husband and I have decided if it doesn't work this time we're going to wait a while to try again. I waited 24 hrs after collecting the last 2 eggs to start the incubation. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

I just did a gee whiz candling on my 6 eggs. 2 are viable! I saw the veins, and the tiny babies in them. It was awesome seeing it. 2 I think are duds, and 2 I'm not sure of. I'm going to wait until day 10 to decide. I'm on day 5 now. I'm so excited, and my boys are excited too. My 4 yr old was explaining to his daddy how to tell an egg has a chick growing in it and I was trying my hardest not to laugh but at the same time I was amazed how he explained it. He said "Daddy if you see a spider in it then it will make a baby chicken". I was so proud of him.

Ok only 2 of the 6 are viable. I went ahead and scrapped the 4 duds and kept the 2 good ones in their same places. My temps have held steady between 99 and 101. Humidity is down to 40% . My 4 yr old already has these babies named and told me exactly how they're to be treated lol. I don't know which girl was mama so I don't know what color they'll be lol. I'm getting a bit excited and anxious about this hatching. Wish us luck that I don't screw it up and they hatch!

Ok day 17 for the 2 eggs and both are doing great. The babies are moving around and I got to see them kicking their legs. Still keeping temp at 101, and I've brought the humidity up to 60% . They both have nice looking air cells, and I'm so anxious for hatch day! I've been waiting every candle day for my boys to get up before candling so they can see it also. They've decided the chicks are theirs so they get to stay inside the house as pets lol. I vetoed that really quick. They can't wait for them to hatch.

That's so awesome. I put my eggs in a day behind you and only 2 out of my 6 made it also. Since I've never hatched eggs before I'm so anxious. One of the eggs is two days behind the other (had 3 sets of two, one out of the first and second sets made it) and I haven't felt movement from it yet but seems to be on track.

Last night at 10:30 I heard the 1st peep. When I got up it was still try to poke the shell. At 11:00 the chick finally got a piece of the shell off. I had to go to the post office to pick up the RedRanger chicks I had ordered and by the time I got back the little one had gotten out of its shell. YAY!! Hows that for timing!? :) Sadly, not one of the other 16 eggs is hatching. So my question now is can I put this chick in with the day old Rangers and if so how long should I wait? He's not completely dry yet.

Back
Top Bottom