First time incubator questions.

From everything I've been told you have to wait until the chick is completely dry before taking it out of the incubator. Other wise it can take a chill and die. I haven't had any peeps yet. I'm still waiting on that first peeping. I'm on day 19 and getting really anxious.

Thank you! He/she is about dry, just some bits on it's back look damp. It's really small compared to the Red Rangers - which I ended up putting in the guest bathtub because it's going to be 28F tonight (I never thought in a million yrs. I would have chickens in my house.lol)
It is still the only egg that hatched; nothing else is peeping or pipping :/
I broke down and bought a circulating fan heater for this Little Giant still air incubator. I'll give it another try and if I still can't get better results (the temp fluctuates something terrible! 97-106F) I'm going to try the Brinsea. Good luck with your hatches :)

I probably have the same incubator as you. I've had to keep a really sharp eye on mine. I've been able to keep it between 98-102 by watching it almost constantly. It feels like I've been looking at it every 30 min or so lol. Usually it stays about 100, or 101. I just have the 2 eggs left in it. It's crazy how much it can fluctuate. I've been keeping humidity around 70% yesterday and today and watching the temp even more so hopefully in the next 2 days they'll haych. If not then we're either going to let our broody do her job, or just buy chicks. I'll be too frustrated to try again this season. I usually keep chicks in the house until 6wks then put them in a warm safe enclosure outside until they're safe to be out. I don't know how well my 11 adult chickens will take to having 2 of their unknown children returned to them lol. These 2 if they hatch will be my 2 and 4 yr old boys chicks. I'm going to start giving them responsibility for caring for them with me watching like a hawk. Don't worry they'll still be well cared for either way lol. I just think they're old enough to learn how to care for another living soul. They're trying to watch the eggs and see if they're hatching yet all the time lol.

I honestly thought the little giant incubator was crap until I realized that I live on very wet land and that's why I'm having problems with my humidity. It stayed at 55-65% if not more for the first ten days but I was able to correct it to where the eggs lost enough moisture to hatch. I never had a problem with the tempature fluctuating but I have my chick brooder set up in the same room so it stays at an even temp.

I've heard that is really important with styrofoam incubators - you have to keep them in the most stable part of your house, away from drafts or windows since they don't compensate well to room temperature fluctuations.

I have mine in my kitchen. The most stable room I have in the house. Today is day 21 and I haven't heard a thing from the eggs yet. Im in NM which is really dry.WWe've had 15% humidity lately. Our daytime temp is getting around 70s now and I'm really starting to get some temp fluxes going. I think I am going to have to break down and get a fan for this incubator if this hatch doesn't succeed. Heck I might just build one, and rip the guts out of this one and add what I need for a better one. If this hatch doesn't work I'm going to be very disappointed, and so are my children. I'm keeping the humidity from day 18 until now around 65 to 70%. My temp was 100 and 101 for the last 24 hrs, and I'm wringing my hands, and acting like a nervous nelly. I'm constantly watching the incubator, or listening to it. You would think I was a first time momma lol. If this doesn't work then my broody hen will get to sit some eggs. Because I won't be able to deal with it again this year lol.

I think your temps might be a bit low for a still air bator, I've heard it should be 101 to 102 at the top of the eggs. If yours was lower, it might take an extra day or so for them to hatch.

Do you candle your eggs and mark air cells?

Isn't this weather great! I'm in NM too. Dry, but the sunshine and warmth reall makes me want to go out and prep the garden. Hope I get some chicks from this batch on Sunday!

I just unloaded my truck from a lot of stuff for my garden lol. I love the heat. My temp gauge is right beside my eggs so it's showing the temp at the middle of the eggs. The only bad part about this weather is I'm having to wet the sponges in the incubator every few days lol. No i haven't marked the air cell on them. I know it bigger than it was, but also more clear. Last time I handled the eggs to candle them was day 18. I'm not liking this incubator right now lol. These eggs are for my boys. They want to raise them as pets like their PaPa did. I afraid if I mess with the eggs right now I'll hurt the babies.

Back
Top Bottom