First time integrating - is this normal?

squirrelgirl01

Songster
Feb 2, 2022
Hello all! I'm currently trying to integrate 2 17/18wk pullets with my two adult hens. This is the first time expanding the flock. My adult hens haven't been terribly violent with them establishing the pecking order, but it's been about two weeks, and the pullets were in an adjacent coop/run to the big girls in addition to that. Even two weeks in, there's still food guarding and a little bit of picking on them (no injuries), the pullets are absolutely terrified of the big girls (have been the whole time) and avoid them like the plague, and the pullets also still refuse to go in the coop with them at night. I have to put them in myself. I've been letting them out of the run to free range a few hours a day for almost a week in hopes that would improve the situation, but any time the big girls approach the young ones, even in a seemingly friendly (or as close as it gets) way, they take off running. I'm starting to worry it's hopeless. Is this normal? How long can I expect this to last? What can I do?

It's pretty normal, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they aren't being physically harmed or prevented from eating. You should have multiple feed areas spread out to prevent the older birds from guarding food?
I have a (good sized) prefab coop, but it's not the world's biggest. It's big enough in theory for at least 6 chickens I'd say, but as far as finding good places to put more feed areas etc, that isn't the easiest. I can definitely try to add a second one as far as possible from the first one though. I do make sure they eat and drink several times a day by going in the coop with them and kicking the big girls out for a few minutes lol.

Aw, yeah it's so hard, but I commend you for doing chickens in the city!

By my math 103.5 x 56 / 144 gives about 40 square feet, so that would be sufficient for FOUR chickens. Smaller breeds would be better suited. I love how they describe these things as suitable for "larger flocks." I might consider something like that for isolating a breeding pair or trio, and should be fine for your four girls, but then you are about at capacity, TBH.

Do you think you could make a little blockade with cardboard or something, so even if the feeding areas are close, they don't have to watch each other eating? Do they have any boxes or hidey holes or anything to take cover? Sometimes a little clutter in the run goes a long way. :)

Also, don't know if anyone has told you, but they won't become one flock until the pullets start laying. Then they will fully integrate with the older hens. Until they start laying the pullets will be their own sub-flock and not hang out with the older girls. They will roost by themselves at night, and hang out elsewhere during the day, and eat separately as much as they can. They will avoid the big chickens' area, although they'll be around watching them, and testing the waters occasionally by entering their space. So just expect that, and make sure there's at least two food and water stations where you can't see one from the other (to prevent food/water guarding). The pullets may have to eat and drink "in secret" so the big ones don't run them off. If you can make the pullets areas to hide where the big chickens don't fit, that will help also. Mine always liked to squish into the spaces between pallets to get away from the larger/older chickens.

Aw, yeah it's so hard, but I commend you for doing chickens in the city!

By my math 103.5 x 56 / 144 gives about 40 square feet, so that would be sufficient for FOUR chickens. Smaller breeds would be better suited. I love how they describe these things as suitable for "larger flocks." I might consider something like that for isolating a breeding pair or trio, and should be fine for your four girls, but then you are about at capacity, TBH.

Do you think you could make a little blockade with cardboard or something, so even if the feeding areas are close, they don't have to watch each other eating? Do they have any boxes or hidey holes or anything to take cover? Sometimes a little clutter in the run goes a long way. :)
It was really the biggest coop that fit in the optimal spot in the backyard. I would have spent a little more to get a slightly bigger one, but I started out with a teeny coop and rats were quickly an issue that REFUSED to be solved. The location I have it (against a concrete walkway on one side and a wall on another) and all the rat-proofing I've done has finally solved that. Anywhere else in the yard was open on all sides and felt so much harder to keep rats deterred from. Plus I have a very uneven yard so that's the second issue haha. Regardless it's actually a nicer coop than I was expecting. I might be able to do a small run addon soon, it's in the plans for consideration. I'm trying to add extra enrichment, hidey holes are a good idea that I could try!

Back
Top Bottom