First Time Khaki Campbell mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EsJaye, Apr 2, 2017.

1. EsJaye

EsJaye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    Yesterday my family took a trip to our local hatchery and walked out with five new birds. four chicks and one khaki duckling. Now, the last time I had a duck was when my older brother showed up with one after a fundraiser at D and B, I was maybe seven. I.Love.Ducks!
    I was so excited I convinced my Dad (yes, I'm a adult lol) to add one to the box at our feet. I had read up on the breeds just for fun prior, because I'm a huge nerd and read that Khaki Campbells were great layers and the hatchery just so happened to have Khaki's, Mallards, and Pekins in stock (so happy<3). Now, I don't usually buy from this hatchery because the people are super unfriendly there but I couldn't help myself.
    I'm now a new duck mom.
    I have no idea how old my duckling is but I'm attempting to imprint (since I work from home). She/He likes to sleep on my right shoulder (only the right) while hiding in my hair, occasionally nibbling me or quacking quietly. I, of course, quack back. She/he follows me if I move to a new spot on the floor and doesn't like to go far from me. I don't know if these are signs of Imprinting, but if they are, I'd be stoked. I have fingers crossed for a girl, if only for eggs.
    okay, that was a lot written in a very disorganized way, sorry xD
    Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice is very welcome.

ps. Probably going to get this little bugger a friend soon, since they are so social. Our previous duck imprinted very intensely to our whole family, even our cat.

pps. She/he's sleeping on my shoulder as I type this <3
    The camera inverts for some reason.

[​IMG]

This is the moment I brought them home, still in the box I got them in
    [​IMG]

That white thing is a hot water bottle with a sock over it. I have my lamp set up now. I didn't need it for my last batch of five banty hens b/c they were five weeks old and our house is roasting so i had to search it out.

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Aww so sweet looks to be only a few days old. Less than a week for sure. How cute! Thats great you will be getting it a friend. Certainly sounds like she is imprinted on you, but im sure she will be happy with a duck friend too[​IMG]
    I have 3 khaki campbells too. They will be 5 weeks old tomorow:)

3. EsJaye

EsJaye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    I'm a research nut and from what i've read, ducks get quite the personality. they seem so fun and my banty hens at five weeks were everywhere (we kept them in out big spare bathroom). A fun age! thanks for the age guess, I'm glad shes young enough to try to imprint.

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Im a research nut too [​IMG] My ducks do have great personalities. Everything i read said khaki campbells and runner ducks are soo skittish and dont make good pets.
    I have 10- runner ducklings and 3 khakis and they are all so tame and friendly. I spend time with them every single day and it has been so worth it . They all love to sit as close as they can or on my lap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by